Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

(4) "You're an idiot."

By Saturday morning my muscles ache, my stress levels are already at an unhealthy level and my mental capacity for airhead athletes has been exhausted.

School, cheer practice and working at the diner after school is a lot and I'd forgotten how little hours the day actually consists of. Still, I suck it up and remind myself that it's only one more year and then I can head to California's Institute of the Arts.

Surprisingly, Drayton must have stuck to his word and squashed the rumour before anyone else caught wind of it. But that doesn't change the fact that he'd humiliated me in front of his 'boys'. Not to mention Emily's persistent evil glares and pestering to know what has me giving Drayton the cold shoulder.

I don't know where the speculation comes from. Drayton and I have never conversed before so it's as if things are as they've always been. But apparently my distaste towards her ex boyfriend is strong and obvious enough to gain attention. That doesn't stop me from adamantly denying that absolutely nothing has ever or will ever happen between us.

"What are you girls doing today?" Nathan asks from the breakfast bar after I've showered, dressed and emerged from my bedroom at an ungodly hour of the morning, all thanks to Spencer who runs on the energy of some other worldly source.

"We're going shopping," Spencer chimes as she slides into the seat next to Nathan, reading the paper from beside him. I start making a coffee in hopes that I can perk up as soon as possible.

"We're going into Castle Pines tonight," I mention as I stir the contents of my bright blue mug. "What will you be up to?"

"Is that the club opening?" he questions, closing the paper with an apprehensive expression.

Spencer and I exchange glances before she purses her lips with wide eyes while Nathan impatiently taps the countertop with narrow eyes. I don't bother hiding our plans. He may be able to advise that I don't go or mention that he doesn't want me to. But in the end, he can't stop me.

"Yeah, that's the one." I shrug, sipping on my coffee and turning my attention out the kitchen window, watching the neighbour's kids bike up and down the footpath. The elderly woman across the street watering her dry lawn and taking note of the fact that our picket fence is in desperate need of a fresh coat of paint.

Basically I'm avoiding the stare from Nathan that's practically burning a hole in the side of my head.

"How are you getting there?" he finally asks with a strained voice.

"We're taking the train," Spencer declares with a cheery tone as if she's just displayed some sort of noble responsibility. I huff loudly, rubbing the sides of my temple.

"The train?" Nathan looks between the two of us as though we've lost it. Spencer realises her error, slinking into her seat as she bites her lip and shrugs with an apologetic expression. "No way, you can't take the train at night, I'll drive you."

"We'll still have to get home after," I walk towards the breakfast bar, leaning on it with flat hands. "We'll take the train, its no big deal."

"Actually we can get a ride home afterwards!" Spencer pipes up and I furrow my brows in confusion. "Yeah a friend of mine is driving there but then um one of the people that she's taking isn't going back with her, so there's room in the car."

She's lying and I can see straight through it. However, Nathan is either extremely gullible or doesn't want to come and get us afterwards, so is accepting our explanation without too much thought.

My guess is, it's the latter.

"Alright," he stands up and walks into the kitchen, putting his coffee mug in the sink before he plucks his keys out of the bowl on the countertop. "I have a date tonight, so I probably won't be home," he clacks his tongue and winks, earning an eye roll from myself. "I gotta go do some practice with the team but I'll be back later to give you a ride."