Day 00

Sitting at his desk, Kogami defiantly crossed his arms over his chest. With his eyes closed and his lips pressed tightly around a cigarette, he remained unyielding. "I'm not going."

Ginoza slammed his fists against his tablet. "You act as if you have a choice in the matter!"

"Hope you have a Dominator handy, Inspector, because the only way I'm getting on that plane is if I'm paralyzed." Remaining quite calm, Kogami glanced back at Ginoza through narrowed, petulant eyes. "There's plenty of investigations going on right here. There's no time for showcasing the MWPSB 8000 miles away."

"Damn you, Kogami!"

"I'll be damned then. Sibyl's seen to that. I'm not going."

"You'll be on that plane!"

"Let me guess. This was Chief Kasei's idea. Some kind of couple's therapy through law enforcement boot camp. Not my idea of entertainment."

Akane laughed from the doorway to the CID Division 1 office. "Do you think we're in need of couple's therapy, Mr. Kogami?"

Kogami coldly turned from Ginoza to her, the cigarette perched on his lips. "No offense, Inspector Tsunemori, but there's plenty of work to be done. I don't see any point in putting on a dog and pony show for the Americans."

She smiled, hands clasped in front of her. It was a tell. The young Inspector made a habit of holding her hands in front of her in such a manner when she was about to ask him to do something he might consider distasteful. "Well, I'm just happy Chief Kasei chose me to represent the MWPSB. I'm looking forward to it actually. A chance to share investigative techniques with other law enforcement officers from all over the United States? It was an honor to be invited, and I was really hoping that you would go with me."

Kogami rolled his eyes and stared at the ceiling. "Why me, if I may ask?"

"You may not!" Ginoza hissed.

Akane held up her hand to restore the peace. "The boot camp is run under the management of Navy SEALs. It's quite intensive. Mr. Masaoka's age disqualifies him. Kagari would be a good choice, but he's still recovering from knee surgery."

"All because you and he ran off after that criminal and nearly got yourselves killed!" Ginoza jeered.

"Better us than her, or you," Kogami said. "And Yayoi?"

"She's on loan to Division 2 for the time being, so that leaves you, Mr. Kogami. Can I count on you?"

"A two-week boot camp, huh?" Kogami felt the tension leaving his shoulders, replaced by reluctant acquiescence. "Couple's therapy with Navy SEALs?"

"Followed by one week with the law enforcement office of our choice. We can maybe take in a bit of sight seeing while we're there, if you want?"

"It doesn't matter what he wants!" Ginoza hissed. "This is an opportunity for us to send our best to compete with the best that the United States has to offer! You'll be pitted against teams from the Secret Service, the CIA, the FBI, as well as law enforcement from around the country! All under the watchful eyes of highly trained Navy SEALs. The least you can do is take it seriously, Kogami. What more can a latent criminal look forward to?"

"A nap," Kogami said, yawning. He tapped out the cigarette and stood up. "Alright, Inspector Tsunemori. This is just another investigation. A different mode to put us through our paces. I'm there to keep you safe."

"Like the hunting dog you are!" Ginoza hissed.

"Fair enough." Standing at his desk with his hands in his pockets, Kogami shot the senior Inspector a pugnacious glare. He was fond of getting under Ginoza's skin and watching the explosive results. "At least I accept my role. When will you?"

Akane raced into the office and put herself between the two men. Herding Kogami toward the door, she said, "We're leaving first thing in the morning. We need to order our requisitions and get packed, Mr. Kogami. Bye, Inspector Ginoza. See you in three weeks, hopefully with some interesting stories about our counterparts in America!"

"Check in every three to four days!" Ginoza ordered, leaning over his desk. "The chief wants to monitor your progress."

"Understood!" Akane threw herself into a final respectful bow and then put her shoulder into the small of Kogami's back to shove him out into the corridor.