Day 14

Breakfast was served at noon, allowing the recruits a chance to sleep in and recover from the Gauntlet. Given the beating he had taken the previous night, Kogami was grateful for the opportunity to rest without the fear of Navy SEALs storming the barracks as their wake up call. He had to admit, that while he was pleased that their boot camp was coming to an end, he would miss the close proximity to Akane and the closeness that their impromptu couple's therapy had brought to them.

Standing outside on the porch, Kogami squinted into the afternoon sun. He was fatigued and sleepy, less from the exhaustion and more from an overindulgent meal of scrambled eggs, home fries, and sausage patties. The morning was cold, but the warmth of the sun kept the chill at bay, while he watched Karl and Tom Jessup being cuffed and led to a waiting MP vehicle in front of the barracks.

"I could sleep for a week," Akane whispered. She massaged the bridge of her nose for a moment before rubbing a hand down and along Kogami's shoulder.

"Did you check in with Gino?"

"I didn't have to—he contacted me. Evidently, Senior Chief Tarkinson sent a priority message to him, thanking Chief Kasei and Ginoza for the professionalism and expertise of their MWPSB representatives. He also sent a detailed report of what happened." She paused to glance at the military police as they exchanged paperwork with the SEALs for the transfer of the prisoners.

"What did he have to say?"

"Congratulations for a job well done." She crossed her arms and held eye contact with Karl Jessup, not flinching under the Texan's fierce gaze. With one eye swollen shut and the other ringed with bruises, he was more comical than intimidating, like a disgraced clown.

"That's it?" Kogami scoffed. "Hard to believe."

"Well, there was some mention of how you had to be responsible for bringing all this upon us. Your latent criminality allowed the Jessups to come out of their shells."

"Figures."

"Your boss, Ko?" Rodriguez asked. "Sounds like my boss. A ball buster."

"There's no love lost between us. That's for sure."

Akane chuckled. "Kogami's right. Inspector Ginoza would definitely say you had the makings of an Enforcer, Mr. Rodriguez." She leaned against his shoulder for a moment.

Sitting on the top step, he grinned up at her and patted the top of her hand. "If I had you as my Inspector, calling the shots, it might be worth losing my freedom."

Her smile faded as the MP vehicle drove off. "What do you think will happen to those two?"

"Serious jail time," Royce answered. Supported by a crutch to keep weight off his sprained ankle, he joined them on the porch. "Aggravated assault, assault on a police officer, attempted sexual assault...that's just the beginning of the list. Tarkinson and I found a few dozen other charges to add for good measure." He shook his head still mystified by the night's transgressions. "Not only will they lose their jobs and be disgraced, they're going to jail for a long time."

"What are you doing up?" Rodriguez complained. "Thought the doc said for you to stay off your feet?"

"Was going to help with the bags, fool! I've had worst. Stop acting like my wife."

Rodriguez laughed, rolling his eyes. "Japan's looking better and better."

"Get your ass over there then. You could use some of that stress therapy before you work my last nerve."

Rodriguez snorted loudly. "Gotta love this guy! The gear is packed, grandpa. Kogami helped me load the vehicle."

"'Bout time you two did some of the heavy lifting around here." Royce winked at Akane.

"Did you see the final results?"

"Two-way tie for first place," Royce said, giving Akane a knuckle bump. "MWPSB with LA's finest. Booyah! Nothing like leaving a good impression. But I'll be glad to get home."

"Amen to that," Rodriguez said. He stood up, dusting dried grass and sand from his uniform pants.

"So what happens now for the MWPSB's best?" Royce asked. "A bit of sight seeing before you go home?"

Akane rocked back and forth from her heels to her tiptoes. "Actually, Mr. Kogami and I were hoping to ride along with the LAPD."

Royce and Rodriguez glanced at each other uncertainly, not saying anything in response.

Akane's face darkened slightly, her cheeks flushing with crimson. "We're not looking to impose."

"No," Royce said glibly. "Not at all. I was just checking in with our chief and telling her about the Gauntlet debacle. She was impressed and wanted me to convince you two to come home with us. This is perfect."

"That's wonderful!" Akane said. "Will you have enough room for us and our luggage or should I order a car?"

Rodriguez waved her to silence. "We rode down in two vehicles. Royce got the new interceptor, and I brought a K-9 unit." He glanced mischievously at Kogami. "Guess I know where you're riding, Ko."

"As long as I get to ride in back and sleep the whole way," Kogami retorted.

"I've got a better idea," Rodriguez said. "Sit in the front. Keep me company. And we can smoke the whole way." He reached for a pack of Marlboro's in his vest pocket and tossed them at Kogami.

Kogami caught the packet and breathed in the sweet scent of the tobacco. After two weeks without a cigarette, there was nothing he wanted more than to satisfy his craving. He took a cigarette from the packet and tossed it back. "When we get there, do I get my own gun?"

Akane glared at the two of them. "Kogami, no."

"From my own private stash, Enforcer Kogami." Rodriguez laughed at the vacant look in Akane's eyes. "Man can't cruise the streets of LA without a gat in his lap!"

"I have no idea what that means."

Royce opened the passenger door for Akane and waited for her to get inside the vehicle. "It means, that in the absence of Dominators, I'll need to requisition tasers for both of us." He closed the door.

"Pfft!" Rodriguez snorted, rolling his eyes. "Spikes can't even get through the vest. We're good." He took a lighter from the glove box, lit his cigarette, and then handed it to Kogami. "We have run the Gauntlet! Time to howl at the moon! Kokoro!" The excited police officer hit the switch for the sirens, which instantly began to blare.

Kogami met Akane's admonishing scowl with a smile as Royce drove off, leading the way back to civilization by way of a military express road to the interstate. In emergency mode, they would arrive much faster. Taking a long, satisfying drag on his cigarette, he reached forward to the control console and hit the switch for the lightbars, powering up the red and blue flashers to accompany the sirens.

Loneliness is the burden the world has placed upon the wolf.  Remembering Tarkinson's words, Kogami staunchly disagreed. What the Senior Chief had forgotten or chosen to ignore was that even though the moon might be hidden or otherwise unseen, she was always there. She was always there. This was no burden, but rather a question of his faith and loyalty. Fail to believe and languish in despair; or cling to that faith, believe, and thrive with intent and purpose.

 This was the way of the wolf.