Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Abriana

I awoke to a steady beeping. As my eyes fluttered open, they landed on my mother’s concerned face and her hands clasped in prayer. I must be dreaming.

Beep, beep, beep.

“¡Mi hija!” She rushed over to me and wrapped her arms around me, squeezing tightly. “You’re awake! Victor! Victor! ¡Ven!¡Está despierta!”

“Mom?” I croaked. “Is that really you?”

“Yes, my sweet daughter!”

I looked around in confusion. “Where am I?”

My father rushed into the room with two coffees sloshing around in styrofoam cups. “Abriana!” he cried as he rushed over. One of the cups spilled as he set it down hastily on the counter.

“You’re in the hospital. The police found you!” His aftershave enveloped me and brought back memories of my childhood. Tears sprung to my eyes as he gave me a tight hug.

“We were so worried,” he exclaimed. “Are you okay? How do you feel?”

I nodded. “I think I’m okay,” I said. My tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth. “Can I please have some water?”

“Of course,” said my mother with a relieved smile.

As my mother filled a small plastic glass with water and wiped up the spilled coffee, a nurse dressed in white scrubs entered the small room.

“Abriana,” she said with a warm smile. “I’m Nurse Teresa. Do you mind if I give you a quick exam?”

Before I could respond, Alexa burst through the door with tears in her eyes. “Bri!” she gasped. “Bri! I’m so sorry! I couldn’t sleep so I went for a walk. I rushed over here as soon as I got mom’s text! Are you okay? Are you hurt?”

I managed a small smile. “I think I’m okay.”

Without waiting a second later, Alexa hopped on to my small cot and threw her arms around me. Her voice cracked, “I was so worried.”

“Me too, Lex,” I admitted.

She sat up and wiped a tear off of her cheek. “They got him. You know that right?”

My brain tried to process what she had said. “What?”

She grabbed my hand and held it. “Easton. The guy that kidnapped you! The police got him.”

My heart started to race. “Got him? Is he alive? Wasn’t he shot?”

The nurse came over and gently interrupted, “I think that’s enough for right now. She’s been through a lot.”

The room started to spin. “Is he alive? Is Easton alive?”

The nurse frowned and injected something into my IV. “She needs to rest.”

My father stood up. “Come here, Lex. There will be time to tell her everything later.”

“Why won’t anyone tell me what’s going on?” I asked in a slurred voice.

Giving me a sad smile, my mother turned to my father and whispered, “We should tell Detective Lock to stop by in the morning. She needs to rest and talking about that…” she paused, “talking about him will only upset her.”

I watched my father nod in agreement as my eyelids began to get heavy.

“Alexa, could you stay with your sister while your father and I go talk to Detective Lock?”

“Of course,” she said as she turned toward me and raised an eyebrow. “I’ll always be here to take care of my big sister.”

---------------------

Three quick things:

1) Per the request of my awesome readers, I'm going to add the point of view under each chapter heading.

2) Please stop by and check out the latest entry of Grishma! The saga is with an AH-Mazing producer in Hollywood and we are working super hard to get it made into an epic series of major motion pictures! Just think, you can say you read it on Wattpad before it hit the big screen! :)

3) Stop by and visit me on Twitter! :) @KellyAnneBlount

Thank you for stopping by and reading Chapter Fourteen of Captured! You are all amazing! xoxoxo