Chapter 2

Chapter Two

“I’m not Jack.”

What was he talking about? He’s not Jack?

Okay, she doesn’t have poor eyesight to not recognize him and surely, she’s not dumb to not know what he looks like.

He’s Jack, her Jack.

“Jack, what are you talking about?” she whispered, making sure that the guests won’t hear her. They wouldn’t anyway as the band behind them start to play a soft, classical music.

They walked down the stage as her father did so. The man who she is not entirely sure is Jack pulled her at the center of the dance floor. Slowly he snaked his hands around her waist pulling her closer, her hands on either side of his neck.

“I told you I’m not Jack.” His face was calm but she can tell that he is slowly losing his composure. Jack rarely loses his composure.

“I don’t understand.” Their tones were hushed so that the people around them won’t hear.

To the people around, it would seem like they are intimately talking to each other. She would know because that’s how Bethany looks like when they watch romance movies.

“I’m Finn, his twin.” He said slowly, as if making sure that she understood every word. “His secret twin.” He added with a snort.

“I—I, um...” She didn’t know what to say. She studied the man in front of her. He has the same hair, nose, lips, heck he even has the same jaw line as Jack! How?

“I’ve known Jack since I was a kid,” She said once she found her voice. “And never, not even once, did he mention that he had a twin.”

“It’s a long story, Madeleine.” He sighed. “It’s complicated.”

That’s when she started to notice the differences. He called her Madeleine. Jack never called her by her real name. She was always Maddie to him.

“What—how—why...?” A million different emotions coursed inside her, she doesn’t even know how to react.

When the realization started to sink in she wanted to scream and cry. Being forced into an arranged marriage with someone you knew and loved for so long is one thing, but to marry a complete stranger is another.

Being surrounded by a mass of bodies didn’t help either. She felt like she was being suffocated, she was panting as if she just ran a marathon.

Caspar was right, karma was a bitch.

And karma was not yet done. Suddenly, Finn was ripped away from her and was knocked to the ground as a fist collided with his face.

She looked up to see her brother, red-faced. It was either from anger or alcohol consumption, but knowing him, it was probably the latter, or both.

A series of collective gasps echoed through the ballroom as they took in what just happened. Finn stood up, wiping some of the blood that trickled down his chin. One look at his face proves that he hadn’t expected that to happen.

Who would? Not even her, she didn’t even know her brother was going to come. Her parents clearly didn’t either as it was evident on their shocked faces.

Sebastian was about to land another punch before security held him back. He kicked and screamed as they drag him at the back of the room where the doors were.

Once he was out of sight, the emcee quickly jumped into action, doing some damage control. He assured the guests that it was just a misunderstanding and to continue whatever it was they were doing before. The music resumed.