Chapter 3

Chapter Three

Maddie Hart was a morning person, she really was. But when someone wakes her up after she just finally slept, well, that person better make sure they have fast reflexes.

Her best friend, Beth, of all people should have known that.

That’s why she is currently catching her breath, claiming that she just knocked the wind out of her.

Beth was such a drama queen. She just hit her...with a pillow...on the stomach...three times.

When Beth was finally breathing even, her eyebrows that were drawn together earlier shot up. “What the hell, Maddie! What happened to you?”

She got up and walked towards the floor length mirror. The same mirror she used just last night, but this time it did not hold the reflection of the girl in the grey dress. Instead, standing there was a girl in crumpled clothes, blotchy cheeks and blood-shot eyes with dark circles underneath.

“I couldn’t sleep last night.” She turned back to Beth and shrugged. “You missed one hell of a party yesterday, by the way.”

“Yeah, I heard.” Beth muttered, sitting at the edge of her bed. “Is that why all those people are downstairs?”

“They want to talk about the remaining things left for the wedding. Apparently they’ve been planning it for a while now.” She sat next to her best friend, hitting Beth’s leg with hers.

“You don’t look so good. Do you want me to tell them that you’re not feeling well?” Beth offered.

“Beth...locking myself in here won’t change the fact that I’m getting married in three weeks.” She got up and grabbed a towel. “I’d still be marrying Finn.”

She closed the bathroom door and stepped in the shower. It was silly but she imagined that this was all a dream, that when she open her eyes she’s still giving her valedictory speech and that last night didn’t happen.

Or someone would pop out of nowhere and tell her that it was all just a prank. That Jack would be there laughing his ass off and Finn was just a hologram.

Just like what happened on her 7th birthday when she thought no one came. She was about to go back inside when Jack popped out and so did everyone else.

Beth’s voice snapped her back to reality though. “So much for wishful thinking.” she muttered as she turned off the shower.

»♥«

“I think we should use a Mikado fabric for the wedding gown.” her mother said before sipping her tea.

“What about layered Chiffon?” Rebecca suggested.

“Are they talking about cakes?” She jumped when someone spoke behind her.

“What the hell Caspar, you scared me.” She whispered to him as she glance back to where the parents are situated. It didn’t seem like they heard them.

“I’m sorry.” Caspar also whispered. “But why are we whispering? And why are we hiding behind the fountain?”

She blushed. She didn’t think she’d get caught spying her own parents while they’re planning her own wedding. She cleared her throat. “I-I was just about to join them.”

“Right...” Caspar cocked his left brow. “So if you were about to join them then why are you standing here for about—twenty minutes now?” He glanced at his watch.

She rolled her eyes. “Fine, you got me. I don’t plan to join them.” She huffed. “Why are you here anyways?”

Caspar cocked his head to the side with a serious expression. “I thought I was your maid of honor?”