Chapter Twenty-Eight

Cole

         Today was rapidly going downhill. The walk to the bus stop was awkward to say the least and I trailed behind a speed-walking Everest, who despite having shorter legs than me, managed to put a fair distance between us. By the time I reached the bus stop my brows were drenched in sweat and my shirt had turned transparent. Everest appeared undeterred by the track and field event we had just participated in, and was pacing around nervously.

"Can we just talk?" I said on an exhale, collapsing onto the bench.

Everest kept walking, his focus on the pavement in front of him.

"Ev, don't ignore me."

He ignored me.

I mustered up the last of my energy and marched over to him, grabbing hold of his arm. "Hey, I'm speaking to you."

"I don't want to talk, Cole," he replied, his eyes avoiding mine.

"Well too bad, Everest. You can't just call it quits and not explain."

"I can and I just did," he turned his back to me.

I stood there in shock. How could he speak to me like that? How could he shut me out so easily? I'd understand if he distanced himself from me, I'd even get it if he wanted to be friends; but going cold turkey... how?

"So what? We're over?" I said. "Just like that?"

He nodded. "Pretty much."

I knew I shouldn't have reacted, I should have kept my head up and been the bigger person, but Everest was being so childish and unreasonable and I wanted the last word.

"You're a coward," I spat as the bus pulled up.

Everest flung around to face me and I took a step back, surprised by the reaction.

"What did you just call me?" he hissed.

I swallowed. "A coward."

He laughed bitterly, his head shaking uncontrollably. He then leant in close to me and through gritted teeth dealt the final blow:

"Well at least I'm not the nerd."

         I was relieved to get home

         I was relieved to get home. After our argument, Everest and I had steered clear of one another. Whenever he was near me he made a point of laughing and chatting loudly with his friends, and I did my best to ignore it. I knew he was doing it on purpose, but it still wriggled its way under my skin.