five

⟛

HE WAS SITTING IN his favourite, red leathered booth at the local diner. This was where they often came on a Friday night when the night had proven to be too much to handle. Their arrival on a Thursday afternoon felt out of place as the rest of his teammates lined the booths surrounding him. His toned and tanned arm casually hung around Maria's shoulder, his fingers ever so often grazing the soft fabric of her shirt as she inanimately chatted away with Kurt.

He wasn't mad at her anymore, but, the contentment he once felt, had started to fade away. It was a silent form of pleasantry- the type that existed simply because it should. The electricity that once coursed through his veins with the tiniest touch from her had dissipated a long, long time ago.

At times, he wondered what she thought and if she felt the same way, but, he could never ask her. If he did, it would open room for a conversation he knew that would never end quite well.

"How's your tutoring sessions going with that Macy girl?"

Leo was brought out of his thoughts by the sudden question Kurt had asked him. Kurt was the power forward on their team. He was tall- standing at nearly six foot five, he towered over many of the players. It was also something that he took pride in, he enjoyed peering down at those who stood before him, reminding them of where he was and where they were. He frequently kept his wheat blonde hair in a cropped style, giving him a military sort of persona. His wide and thick fingers reached for the glass of cola and took a quick sip, his Adam's apple bobbing when he swallowed.

Leo found himself removing his arm from around Maria, who slightly protested at the unanticipated loss of warmth, and sat up straighter. He did what he had done in Mr. Miller's office, he pushed his shoulders back and stared Kurt in the eyes.

"Her name's Maya-" He corrected, a very subtle irritation laced in his tone, "And they're going well."

He didn't want to let on more than he should. The truth of the matter was that Leo did not feel comfortable telling Kurt about his academic record- firstly, it was none of his business and secondly, a part of him was still ashamed for letting himself reach to this level.

On the topic of Maya, if anyone was to ask Leo if he knew a Maya Chopra a mere two weeks ago, he would've shaken his head saying 'no'. The idea of the girl or who she was would not have registered in his brain at all. He found it extremely strange that the four years that he had attended Roosevelt High School and he had not encountered her once.

Or maybe he had and he had just never noticed.

"Macy, Maya, same thing," Kurt retorted as he chuckled a hearty laugh which earned a miniature smirk from Maria, who appeared to be very pleased by the remark.

Leo resisted the urge to bicker with Kurt, albeit the urge to defend Maya's honour did briefly flash his mind, he merely snorted, "You're such a pendejo sometimes."