It Was Only Me and You

"Squints when did you plan that?!" I asked in shock. Wendy totally freaked out that Squints kissed her and dragged him out of the pool. 

"I've planned that for many years, Cass!" He exclaimed. Oh my world!

"You guys, Squints already knew what he was doing!" Ham shouted.

It was official that Michael "Squints" Palledorous kissed a grown women. Heck, I don't think that any of the guys would have done that and that includes Benny.

After that day, the guys weren't allowed to come to pool again, but every time we passed by, Wendy Peffercorn would always look down from her tower and wave to the four eyed boy. Squints stood a little bit taller that day with confidents.

---

4th of July

Today is the 4th of July. My favorite time of year besides, Christmas, my birthday, thanksgiving, and halloween. I get to make my double fudge chocolate brownies dipped in red, white, and blue frosting. It's been a neighborhood favorite since my grandma started making them, but she passed away two years ago. Around this time my mom is always busy with making sure that everything is prepared for the block party. She is the coordinator for the party each year, so mom can't really bake the brownies. 

When I'm not playing baseball with the guys, I take the time to perfect the brownie recipe that's been in my family for years. Once I added way too much sugar to the brownies on accident and my little brother had a sugar rush for a few hours. 

My house was extra loud today with all the neighbors coming in and out of the house. 

"Mom?" I yelled. I heard some scuffling of shoes. 

"Yes, Cassandra?" She said back. When my mom says my full name that means she is busy at the moment. 

"Can I go Benny's house to bake, since it's a little busy in the kitchen right now?" I'm talking about the cups, bowls, and pans around the kitchen counters and dining table.

"First call their house to make sure that you can bake over there please." I walked over to the phone and called Benny. 

"Hello?" I heard a little voice come from the other side of the phone. It was Benny's five year old sister, Isabella. Her and my little brother, Carter are friends. 

"Hi Bella! Is Benny there?" I asked her through the phone. 

"Benny, your girlfriend is on the phone!" I heard the little girl yell. I laughed at her saying that. For a five year old, she has good hearing. Her vocabulary catches on real quick too. 

"Bella, she isn't my girlfriend." I heard Benny say. 

"She should be." I heard her mumble and I chuckled. 

"Hey Cass, what's up?" Benny said. 

"Hi Benny, I was wondering if I can use your kitchen?" I asked. 

"Of course! As long as I get to lick the batter off the spatula." He clarified. I knew he was going to say that. 

"Fine." I sighed. "I'll be there in 5 mins." 

"Alright, bye."

----

I walked over to Benny's house and knocked on the door. 

"Hey Cassie!" The door opened and Veronica, Benny's older sister, appeared. "Wait let me take a wild guess. Brownies?" 

It was kinda obvious. I had a bag full of the materials I needed. 

"You got that right." I smiled at her. 

"Good because I cannot wait to try them!" She beamed. "If you need me, I will be in my room trying to figure out what to wear tonight." 

"Hot date?" I asked as I put the materials down on the kitchen table.

"I guess. I mean I invited this guy at my school to the block party. His name is Devin Hansen." Veronica said. 

"His brother is in my Spanish class at school." I shrugged. "I know for a fact that he has a fat crush on me, but I don't like him like that. Every time he tries and talks to me, Benny gets all jealous." 

"I'm not surprised that he would get jealous. I mean Benny is very protective when it comes to you." Veronica said. "Alright, I'm gonna be upstairs finding an outfit. See ya later!" 

Veronica went upstairs and I started to bake. I preheated the oven and started mixing the ingredients together. 

I felt two arms wrap around my waist and a head went on my shoulder. "I can smell the chocolate from all the way upstairs cause that's how much I love your baking." Benny whispered with a husky voice. 

"Good morning to you, sunshine." I smiled. "You know brownies is the only thing I know how to bake. 

"But I know that it's you baking." He kissed my temple. Once in a while, he'll kiss my temple or I'll kiss his cheek. He walked over to the radio in their kitchen and turned it on. A random song started to play and Benny grabbed my hand. "Dance with me."

"Now?" I asked putting the bowl down. 

"Yes now. You know you want to." I put my arms over his shoulder and his went around my waist. We started to sway back and forth while the song played in the background. Our eyes locked while we were dancing and it felt like him and I were the only two people in the world at the moment . 

"Benny I-" The sound of the oven cut me off as I was about to say something. 

"What were you gonna tell me?" He asked. 

"Nothing." 

I like you, Benny. 

---

Imagine the scene between Benny and Cassie kinda gave me the feels..

I hope that everyone had a great Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Remember to vote and comment!

-Cieara ;)

reedited: 6/27/21