Live Stream #283: Truth is Like the Sun

Finally, after two days of waiting in suspense, Elvis shows up for her show. She's prompt just like she always was before, and much to everyone in the comments section's dismay, she appears to have no interest in addressing her conspicuous absence.

"Good morning everyone and welcome to another episode of Dystopia Today," she says, reciting her usual sign-on lines. "I'm your host, Elvis Splat, and today we're going to be following Daniel and Sasha's daring re-escape from the Haven of Salvation."

The comments section lights up with questions. They're all a variation of where were you?

Elvis doesn't respond to any of them. Sometimes she's very good about reading the comments, answering questions and responding to requests. Sometimes, like now, she has her show schedule and she doesn't deviate from it.

We just want to know what happened to you.

Tell us you're okay, at least - that nobody hurt you.

Her eyes flick down to the comments at the bottom of her screen - that much is obvious - but she just plasters on a fake smile and says, "Let's get to it, shall we?"

The screen switches over to a view high above the shelter great room - one of the security cameras installed on the ceiling there - and Jane, Daniel (or Bobby Flay), and Sasha (Marigold the prostitute) are visible near the center of the room. Daniel and Sasha have barely touched their meals, while Jane tilts her bowl up to spoon the last of the pasta sauce into her mouth.

In the comments, people are protesting this mundane turn of events.

We don't care about Daniel and Sasha right now. Tell us what happened.

Screw the video - talk to us, Elvis!

And then, one voice louder than the rest through sheer force of will - and the Caps Lock button - cuts through the crowd.

ELVIS IS A WATCHER. REPEAT, ELVIS Splat IS A WATCHER.

The screen stays on the shelter great room and as much as everyone would love to see Elvis's reaction to this baseless accusation, they cannot. They can only respond themselves, rising to her defense.

Who let the nut job in?

Oh boy, here come the conspiracy theorists...

I HAVE PROOF.

Out with it, then... why keep us in suspense?

A link is posted. Daniel and Sasha's meal marches on but no one is paying attention anymore. Some are warning others not to click, saying it's a trap of some sort, or a virus, but most of them do.

The link opens a photograph of a young brunette staring straight at the camera with a surprised look on her face. She's wearing the Watcher uniform, although it looks a bit snug like she's gained some weight since it was issued.

All that McDonald's is taking its toll.

You can't prove that it's her - that could be anyone.

COULD BE, YES, BUT IT'S DEFINITELY ELVIS Splat. LOOK AT THE LIPS, THE SLIGHTLY CROOKED NOSE.

Can't be. Do you know who you're talking about?

She's practically the leader of the resistance, or at least the figurehead of it.

SURE IS, BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN SHE CAN'T ALSO WORK FOR THE MAN.

You guys, I think this guy is right. Look.

A second link is posted, showing a close-up of the woman in the Watcher uniform's face side-by-side with a screen grab of Elvis. When they're right next to each other, it's impossible not to see the similarities.

A lot of people have crooked noses.

STOP DRINKING THE KOOL-AID. HOW CAN YOU IGNORE WHAT'S RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU?

How can you deny everything that Elvis's show has done to give us hope and tear down the imbalance of power between the Watchers and the watched?

DO YOU GUYS WANT TO KNOW WHERE ELVIS WAS THE LAST COUPLE OF DAYS OR NOT?

More photos are posted - at least a dozen of them - and they're from the same day and location that the first photo was taken. They show the woman - Elvis or not - looking surprised by the camera, turning to run away, and being met with two more. They're not mounted to Watcher drones, but rather something a little more homemade. They're the illegal drones of civilians who, by the progression of the photos, appear to have tracked down Elvis in her nighttime vocation and were out for blood.

SHE WAS APPREHENDING SOMEONE, TRYING TO MAKE HER QUOTA FOR THE MONTH. PIG.

And where exactly did you get these pictures?

WHOSE DRONE DO YOU THINK THAT IS?

Suddenly, the footage of Daniel, Sasha and Jane disappears and is replaced by a black screen. Elvis has ended the broadcast and the list of attendees shows that she has left the room altogether.

The comments section is more active than it's ever been, a flurry of confusion, accusations, shock and betrayal. Above it all, one voice remains.

WE HAVE TO TAKE HER DOWN.