Arthurian Fantasy

by FaerieFaye27

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

by FaerieFaye27

Arthurian fantasy is a genre based on a legend or story, rather than a set of themes, as most genres are.

The legend surrounds a 6th Century king with a great destiny and his heroic knights who go on dangerous quests, including the Holy Grail. It's a tale of pure heroism, adventure and battles, with underlying themes of morality, adultery, politics, magic and power. What's not to love?

So, where did the legend actually come from?

We all know there is no smoke without fire when it comes to a legend, but this one is a bit tricky. The earliest reference dates back to the early 9th Century (which was revised until the 11th Century) in a text called the Historia Brittonum said to be the history of the Britons. It refers to a great warrior defeating the Saxons in England and fighting in fifty-six battles. The Annales Cambriae (12th Century, origins possibly from 10th Century) refers to two battles in which Arthur fought, one of which details his defeat and death by Mordred.

Much of the historical accuracy of these texts is very much contested, but these were the sparks that ignited the rest of the stories throughout classical and contemporary literature. Many of the recognisable stories such as the Grail Quest, Guinevere's affair with Lancelot, Morgan's villainous role have been added in later texts, but are no less captivating. It just goes to show how much the earliest references have captured the imagination of generations of writers, all keen to put their interpretations and ideas to paper. And still, it continues, with every generation adding their own ideas and imaginative twists.

Popular texts include:

-Perceval, the Story of the Grail,  Lancelot, the Knight of the Cart - Chrétien de Troyes
-Le Morte d'Arthur (The Death of Arthur) - Thomas Malory
-"The Lady of Shalott" (poem) - Alfred Tennyson
-The Once and Future King -  T. H. White
-The Mists of Avalon -  Marion Zimmer Bradley

The setting for the legend takes place around a place called Camelot

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

The setting for the legend takes place around a place called Camelot. This is the greatest kingdom in England and Arthur's home. Another prevalent location is Avalon, which is a mysterious isle where magic folk would learn their skills, where Excalibur was forged and where Arthur's body was taken after the battle at Camlann. As with the rest of the historical references on this topic, no one knows for sure whether either of these places really existed and if the did, where they may have been exactly. Many believe Camelot would be found somewhere in the south-west of England and Avalon to be in Glastonbury, where the Tor stands.