Religious and Spiritual

by JohnAAJoseph

by JohnAAJoseph

Sometimes it can seem like there is an overabundance of categories for literature. Steampunk, creepy pasta, urban thug -- is it really necessary to have all of these little subsections? Of course, it is! Traditional genres can become predictable, bland and indistinguishable, but these different categories provide imagination, variety and excitement. Readers' tastes are always changing, demanding fresh and new stories. The different subgenres allow for freedom of expression and personal exploration. So let me introduce you to the subgenre of Spiritual Fantasy!

What is Spiritual Fantasy, you ask? In simple terms, it is that subcategory of Fantasy genre that uses spirituality or religion as the central theme for its narrative element. Whoa! How's that for your Merriam-Webster or Wikipedia definition? Let's break it down further: the "Fantasy" part is pretty straightforward -- you know, speculative fiction where supernatural phenomena is the primary plot element, theme or setting; without referencing locations, events or people of the real world; commonly including traits of magic, fantastic creatures, and a medieval setting. The "Spiritual" aspect? The defining characteristic. The word 'spiritual' generally pertains to anything that affects or relates to the human spirit or soul.

A human's spirit refers to the immaterial or non-physical part of an individual which gives him or her cause for life

A human's spirit refers to the immaterial or non-physical part of an individual which gives him or her cause for life. It's a hypothetical force giving life to physical organisms. It is also described as that part of an individual that is the center of his or her emotions and moral character. In religious terms, it is the human element that gives each person the ability to have a relationship with God. (For clarity's sake, sometimes the term 'soul' is used interchangeably with the word 'spirit.' Technically, however, a soul refers to both immaterial and material aspects of an individual, regardless of their state of being -- on earth or in the afterlife. In essence, human beings have spirits, whereas human beings are souls.)

So, what relevance does Spiritual Fantasy hold that such a special subgenre be recognized? I think Spiritual Fantasy's greatest attribute is simply that it allows for individual exploration of one's spirituality. When we speak of spirituality in a traditional sense, we talk about something unseen and hypothetical, which automatically makes it feel imagined in some respect. This fits right in with the Fantasy genre, which separates itself from Science Fiction by way of plausibility. However, traditional spirituality is also closely related to religion, which deals with beliefs and organized practices of faith. This is almost counter-intuitive to Fantasy characterization. Where else can you go to find a subgenre with such oppositional aspects?