ch. 10 - graveyard

'The two most important days in your life

Are the day you were born

And the day you find out why'

-Mark Twain

||||

"...The cup is a portkey... Harry, Adeline could've been taken here too..." Cedric Diggory reasoned, looking around the graveyard, not understanding why they were there; surely they'd be back at Hogwarts by now?

Harry's heart sank at Cedric's words as the two inspected the graveyard.

"I've been here before... in a dream..." Harry muttered, his heart picking up pace as reality dawned on him, spying a grave reading Tom Riddle. "Cedric we have to get back to the cup! Now!"

However, before Cedric could question Harry's desperate voice, Harry had already collapsed on his knees in agony as his scar burned ferociously, yelling out in pain. As Cedric made his way over to Harry, he tried his best to talk through the searing pain:

"NO! GET BACK TO THE CUP!"

But he didn't have a chance; by the time Cedric was about a meter from Harry, the Hufflepuff champion spotted two silhouettes emerging from the shadows, to which one deemed restless. Raising his wand, Cedric pointed it at the silhouettes, threatening to take action.

"Who are you? What do you want?" He called bravely, though he was inwardly terrified.

"Kill the spare." Came a raspy voice. Confused, Harry saw just in time as Peter Pettigrew drew a wand, green light shooting out of it at the Hufflepuff, hitting him squarely in the chest, falling to the ground; lifeless.

"NO! CEDRIC!" Harry cried out, trying to get to the fallen boy.

Harry didn't get to think any further as Peter Pettigrew used the wand to push Harry back forcefully into a large sculpture of, presumably, the Grim Reaper, whose scythe moved and held him captive. Only then did he see Adeline on the ground.

A tight rope was over her mouth, restraining her from talking, her ankles and wrists bound by rope. Adeline's eyes were scared, her yelling for Cedric muffled as she squirmed, tears building in her eyes. As Pettigrew's back was facing her, she managed to wriggle to her knees, but fell to her back again. Trying a new way, she then bent her knees, sat up, and stood with great effort.

Seeing Harry's eyes looking behind him, Pettigrew turned around and spotted her, waving the wand to push her back down, Adeline's' muffled shrieks of pain and struggle going through Harry like physical pain as his anxious eyes met her pleading ones.

"Do it now..." The rasping voice met his ears again, and Harry realised it was coming from an odd-looking creature in Peter Pettigrew's arms, to which resembled the size of a baby wrapped in black cloth, only its ugly, pale face visible.