Chapter 3

Chapter 3: Let's Get Mexican

Mason stared down at his computer's glaringly bright screen. For the past hour, he had been online finding textbooks and items he would need when he attended university that fall. But something about the entire task drained his energy and soon he was pulling away from his desk and grabbing his phone.

Although Mason was a high school graduate and, to most of his teachers and peers, responsible, he couldn't seem to focus on what was needed of him. His mind continued to stray to his friends and what they were doing.

Opening his phone, he saw several notifications for their group chat and smiled softly. He knew that they would be talking about something. There was rarely a time where they weren't.

Shortly after opening the messages, Mason was pulled into a world that he would not be able to leave. Imagining that every word sent by his friends, sent by Mark, was them speaking to him gave him the illusion of being included.

Mason paid extra close attention to what Mark sent. Mason would never admit this to his friends, despite how much they pestered, but he was still head over heels for the man. Mason would never get over how effortlessly perfect the younger boy was. Yes, being born three months before makes him older.

Mark was always nice, always sweet, always handsome, always sexy.

Mason's thoughts quickly departed from sweet and innocent to "do not mention around your parents." He took a moment to bless whatever controlled thoughts and allowed for them to be private. He would have never been able to leave his house again if someone could hear them.

After texting with his friends for another half hour, Mason saw more than heard his phone ring. He raised a single brow at the sight of his mother's name but didn't make a verbal comment.

Ever since his family had moved into a bigger place 2 years ago, his parents had taken to calling him on his phone before they tried yelling to get him downstairs. In their old house, they barely blinked at the sound of someone's name being yelled from the first floor so they would attend dinner or get the trash.

Now, there was a chance that they still wouldn't be heard even if they screeched at the top of their lungs because the sound just wouldn't travel. It was an unspoken, but generally accepted, idea that they would simply call each other.

Answering the phone, Mason brought the thin device up to his ear and kept his wince at bay when his mother yelled through it.

"Mason!" She boomed, presumably smiling through the phone because she didn't know of the pain she put her son through. "Come downstairs. Your Dad and I need to tell you something."

Mason softly mumbled his agreement and climbed off of his bed to leave his room. The soft carpet flooring made his feet sound silent as we walked through the top level of his home.

As Mason softly descended down the warm wooden steps, he heard his parents talking in the living room. Mason entered the living room and raised his eyebrows when he noticed the two talking excitedly.

They shot up to look at Mason before the tan boy could open his mouth.

"Hey, Mason." His Dad grinned, gesturing towards one of the seats on the couch near him. "Come sit down."

Mason slowly walked over to the living room, still suspicious of his parents' odd behaviour. Mason didn't even need to ask before they were explaining.

"We're all going out to dinner at a nice new restaurant downtown!" His mother blurted, her hands moving around as she spoke. "Aiden will be joining us and treating us to dessert!"