Chapter 14

Chapter 14: Bitter Sweet

It took Mason fifteen minutes to forget everything he promised himself and only think of the kiss. The predominant thought was What the fuck was I thinking?! But Why did I do that?! and Why did he do that?! were not far behind.

Mason was barely keeping himself from screaming and kicking anything within sight from frustration. He was so confused, not just literally but emotionally as well.

The kiss had frankly been amazing. Mason had kissed people before. He didn't do it often, but every once in a while he decided he would move on from Mark and find someone to get distracted by. He obviously had a good time since he did it over and over again. But kissing Mark had been nothing like he had ever felt before.

It had been hot and really sexy, but also so gentle and sweet. Mason remembered being unable to think or feel anything else except for Mark and what he was doing with his mouth. And when Mark had dragged his hands up Mason's waist . . . Mason swooned just at the thought of it.

But, the secondary issue of it always came back to him shortly after. What did Mark think of it? Was it the momentary mistake of a teen? The heat of the moment taking Mark as a hostage? A simple thing to pass the time and get through an awkward activity.

Any possibility other than He is just as into me as I am into made Mason nervous beyond belief. Mason cycled back and forth between swooning over the kiss and panicking over Mark's possible reactions.

Mason was a few steps away from where he and Mark had been, pacing as he thought. A girl suddenly walked up to him and he blinked, finding her unrecognizable.

"Can you hold this?" The random girl asked him as she held a dustpan towards Mason, a broom in hand.

"Uh, yeah. Sure." Now Mason was helping this stranger sweep the room. Instead of it lasting a minute or two — as he'd expected— it took them over fifteen minutes.

Mason never felt the need to tell her that he didn't agree to help this long and simply dealt with the unexpected responsibility. The benefit of this was it was much harder to think about Mark.

Mason was honestly a bit sad when he and the girl had finished. It had been a good distraction and the girl's random mutterings of where she should sweep next had been nice.

Mason wandered back to his things, his steps faltering when he realized that he was walking back over to the spot where Mark still sat, not having moved.

Sure, Mark was talking to Tobias and Aubrey, keeping him from seeing as Mason walked over, but eventually, he would notice Mason's presence. He wasn't ready! He didn't even know what he would say!

Hey forever crush that I just kissed today. I hope you don't mind if I come to retrieve my things. Of course, you wouldn't mind! At this point, since we have already made out, existing next to me should be no issue. Mark should never say let alone think that again.

Mason's steps slowed as he internally panicked over what he would do when a saviour appeared. No, he didn't fall down from the sky on a white cloud. Instead, he rolled up wearing jeans, a t-shirt, and a cocky grin. Gabe. When Mason caught his eye, he sent the taller man a smile, which was quickly returned.

"Hey, babe." Gabe greeted him, pulling Mason into a tight hug that had him groaning softly.

"Hey, Gabe." Mason looked up at Gabe with those big eyes of his and Gabe had to keep himself from mentioning how sexy he looked. He was trying to play this subtly, and he doubted coming on that strong would be helpful.