Rebound, But Newfound {26}

“Where are you going Zeke?” Phil asked curiously as I began to gather my stuff.

                I shrugged. “The JV team has a scrimmage today. I want to watch Tommy play,” I said. And I wanted to make sure he was okay. The team they were scrimmaging against had a reputation for being nasty. One of their Varsity players had had broken Trace’s nose last year because he got frustrated when he couldn’t score on Trace.

                “Cool. Can we come?” Phil asked, nodding at Davey. “I want to see Tommy play. He’ll kick some JV ass. Plus my brother is playing.”

                I glanced nervously at Davey before shrugging and nodding. He couldn’t hurt Tommy from the sidelines. And if he tried to distract Tommy, I could handle him.

                I drove us to the high school’s soccer field as we sat together on the bleachers. There were a few other people there, including Tommy’s family.

                I peered around until I spotted Tommy. He was stretching with a few other kids. Some were hydrating, and others were talking to the coach.

                The ref stepped onto the field and blew his whistle. The JV coach said something to the team quick before the boys rushed out to take their places on the field.

                I nearly groaned. Tommy was playing center midfield. If his ankle started bothering him, he was screwed.

                I quickly eyed the other team. My eyes landed on the biggest player and, to my horror, I saw that he was their center midfielder. Oh god I hoped Tommy would be careful.

                The ref blew his whistle and the ball was passed back to Tommy. He quickly passed it up to the left and took off sprinting towards the goal.

                The ball was passed to him and he raised his foot to shoot, only be knocked forward by the giant ass center midfield. Tommy hit the ground, but quickly pushed himself up, sprinting after the center mid.

                He grabbed his jersey and flung him off the ball, passing it away. I felt the need to cover my eyes as the center mid gave Tommy a death glare.

                “Oh shit. Zeke, your boyfriend just pissed off Kegan Rogers. That kid will fucking kill Tommy,” Phil hissed.

                “Oh great,” I groaned.

                “He’ll do it off the field. Kegan did that to my little brother last year. My brother used a dirty trick on him, and he beat my brother up after the game,” Phil said, chewing on his lip nervously.

                “How bad did Kegan beat up your brother?” I asked nervously.

                Phil pointed to one of the defenders. “That’s my brother, Brett. See his cheek and lip? Kegan was wearing a ring when he hit Brett,” Phil said, making a disgusted face and shaking his head.

                Brett’s cheek had a long, ugly scar that stretched across it. His lip had a similar scar that curved down to the center of his chin.

                “Jesus Phil! And your parents didn’t, like, press charges or anything?” I asked, my eyes widening.

                Phil shook his head. “Brett told them he fell off his bike on the way home. Which was partly true, since he was crying so hard on the way home that he did fall off his bike. Just go right to Tommy after the game Zeke. Get him out of here,” Phil said, back to chewing on his lip. “Don’t let Kegan get to him.”