Chapter Five

"Calayne Niemi," Pascal declared as he sat down with a flourish across from her, an elegant square mahogany table set between them. On the table was a cup of tea, a piece of paper with neat, cursive script, a stamp with a seal, and a fancy, crystalline pen. The sunlight streamed through the huge ceiling windows above them.

Astra crossed her legs and arms and glared. At least her identity wasn't compromised. Just her freedom. The irony in that made her want to laugh.

"It's so wonderful to catch a young wraith," Pascal commented as he got settled. His burned hair had been trimmed, though, Astra noted with satisfaction, his hair was now so short he was very close to being considered bald. "There's less and less every year."

"I wonder why," Astra responded drily.

"Regardless, the city guard caught you breaking the law." Pascal outstretched his hand, and the guard that had been standing in front of the door behind her stepped forward to hand him a manila folder. He opened the folder, revealing sheets upon sheets of legal information. Pascal pulled out a single sheet and scanned it. "Official Wraith Ban of Auxerre: wraiths of ice, fire, or air shall not be permitted entrance into Auxerre under any circumstances. Should such an individual be captured, he or she shall be jailed for a minimum of twenty years." He raised his eyebrows at her. She raised a single eyebrow back.

"Are you expecting me to beg you to not send me to prison?" she inquired. Pascal didn't deign to answer and instead looked down and continued reading.

"However, the individual may have the choice to choose between incarceration or service within the indentured army."

Astra snorted. So all the people she'd seen in the huge sitting room yesterday were wraiths.

"Is 'slave' too ugly a word for the government?" She lounged across the table, resting her head on her fist and laughed. "I haven't been here that long, but I get the feeling this entire operation is being kept hush-hush. Obviously because slavery is illegal and has been illegal. And obviously because His Majesty and the rest of you all are terrified of Solano even if you'd never admit it. But I do wonder why you need an army of wraiths. And why now? Why not just kill us all? The royal family certainly wasn't averse to that a few decades ago." She shrugged at Pascal's silence and impassive expression. "I suppose that's for you to know and for me to find out."

Well aware of the guard bristling behind her, she picked up the crystalline pen and began twirling it with her fingers. With its rounded edges, it would make a terrible weapon, but if it came down to it, it was better than nothing. The thought of weapons reminded her of the weapons the city guards had stripped away from her. She'd have to get her hands on some new blades, and perhaps start scouting out where they could have tossed her throwing knives.

Pascal continued on reading as if she had never spoken. "And so by the decree of his Royal Majesty, you have been given the generous offer to choose between either jail time of a minimum of twenty years with good behavior, or to serve in the indentured army of Auxerre for a minimum of ten years with good behavior. Should you choose to serve in the army, you'll receive amenities in the form of food, shelter, and clothing, as well as access to physicians should you need them." Pascal smiled thinly. "Make your decision now, Calayne." He pushed the sheet of paper in front of her. The material was expensive and the seal of Auxerre was embossed at the bottom left corner.

Astra glanced downwards to read the text.

I agree to concede my free-will and willfully submit myself to the indentured army under the rule and command of Auxerre.

In the fine print below, the document detailed the circumstances of being in the army, including the restriction of wraith powers against guards and other Auxerran citizens.