Chapter Twenty-Three

"It's my favorite time of year again," Pascal cooed as Astra filed into his suite, following Jemma before her.

It was silent in his sitting room, and she carefully eyed the other four wraiths to get an idea of exactly how to act. If she had one goal, it was that she did not want to stand out.

The other four wraiths shuffled into a line with their hands clasped behind their backs in front of Pascal, who was sitting on the loveseat eyeing them. Awkwardly, Astra tried to follow suit.

The Captain took a slow sip from his glass—orange juice?—as he stared at her. "I'm sure you're well aware of what is expected of you.

"The Firelight Ball is a symbol of freedom—" Astra's eye twitched "—and hope. It is a celebration of the solidarity of not only our nation, but also that of our allies and friends. It is a peaceful meeting to bring together everyone in Iveia, the continent we all share. Dignitaries from Solasia, Varaly, Aeris, and even Pelosia will be attending. Some of our most esteemed guests will include His Highness Dalen Avrlove of Solasia and Commander Xernes of Varaly."

Astra sucked in a slow, deep breath, and held it. So much for not calling attention to herself. She'd be recognized in a second flat.

"The five of you will serve as dignitaries of the wraiths. Ciril and Riviera, of the wind wraith clans. Anyali and Jemma, of the fire wraith clans. Calayne will be of the ice wraith clans. You'll receive more specific information regarding your positions once you've been settled in the castles.

"Because of the significance of this event, the kingdom expects you to maintain the utmost standard of propriety. That means when pressed with questions, you'll ensure that you answer as befitting an ally of Auxerre and leave no suspicions that might allude to anything else.

"That also means," he paused for emphasis, "you'll make no mention of the wraith armies under Auxerre. You'll align your interests in maintaining peace at all costs. You will agree with maintaining strict border regulations. For the three of you attending the peace conference tomorrow, His Majesty, the king, will be present and leading the discussion. He and I expect you to follow his lead in whatever he says and advocates for.

"Should you not perform to our satisfaction..." Pascal shrugged half-heartedly and smirked. "Words and records can be easily changed and fixed, and your contract will be considered unfulfilled. As I'm sure you're already aware, the consequences would, of course, include jail time or, if necessary, execution."

The room was silent, and Astra had to tense her muscles to avoid accidentally moving. Pascal scanned them again before clapping his hands once. He practically beamed with excitement as he called for the guards.

Following the lead of the other four wraiths, she stood still and continued staring forwards. Behind her, she heard the door being opened again and the sounds of heavy footsteps. Out of her peripheral vision, she saw a guard pull out a piece of black fabric—a hood, she realized when it had been pulled over her head. Behind, someone pulled her arms back roughly to tie them together.

"Take them up," Pascal ordered.

  •  

A shove at her tied hands sent her sprawling forward.

"Stay," someone told her gruffly as the hood was whipped off of her head, and her hands were untied.

Astra bristled at the command, but stayed put, unwilling to get into trouble. She scanned the room, taking in its plush carpets and expensive furniture and the closed door to the left. On a glass table nearby, a thick cream envelope sat, unopened. Next to her, the guard was pulling the rope away from her hands and coiling it together.