Chapter III - Alexander

A week had passed since Alexander had decided to grace them with his presence. Roxana wondered when he would take his leave as she walked down the dark corridor. She had taken a walk outside under the starry sky, and now she was returning to her chambers. She was just about to pass through the open throne hall when she heard low voices coming from there.

"Yes, yes, I understand." It was her father, Oxyartes. Quickly, before her father could spot her she hid in the shadows behind one of the huge marble columns. Then she peeked out, and continued to watch what was going on. Her father's face was gleaming eerily in the candlelight, his expression overly pleased. Across from him sat Alexander, smiling at him.

"So we have an agreement. You will be made satrap of the province of Paropamisadae, and your sons appointed into my elite army. I have already expressed my desire to take your daughter as my wife -" Here Roxana gasped, but stifled it quickly with the palms of her hands. She prayed that the two had not heard her.

"- I expect that this will be carried out with all due haste." Roxana breathed a sigh of relief, realizing that they had not heard her. But her heart started pounding again as she absorbed what she had heard. She, becoming the wife of Alexander the Great? Surely not!

"Yes, you have my word," said her father, and looking pleased with himself as he rose, "Now, you must be tired. Please, of you will retire to your room, I will ask of the servants to prepare you with everything you need for the night."

"No, do not mind me," replied Alexander, "I would like to be left alone for awhile, if it is not too much to ask."

"Of course." Bidding him a good night, Roxana watched as her father's bulky figure disappeared into the shadows to where his chambers were located. Roxana also turned around to leave.

"Come out, or I shall draw you out myself." Alexander's voice rang throughout the silent throne room, making her freeze in surprise. Roxana silently cursed. She heard soft footsteps coming towards her, coming nearer and nearer, and slowly, she turned around. She was met with Alexander, still in his full general attire, looking at her curiously. She quickly bowed her head in respect.

"Have you been eavesdropping?" Amusement was evident in his voice.

"No - I - I was passing by. Yes, just passing by."

"How much of the conversation did you hear?"

"Nothing," Roxana said immediately. She knew he did not believe him. Suddenly she realized that the two were alone. Alexander's eyes trailed down her white nightgown, and Roxana felt frightened. Unconsciously she stepped back, and was very aware that he had taken a step forwards. He was gazing at her unfalteringly. Suddenly the carpet became very interesting to her. Alexander kept advancing forwards, and Roxana hid herself behind the column.

Her heart jumped when she felt his presence beside her. She could smell the sweet odour that emanated from his garments. What kind of exotic perfume did he use? As subtly as she could Roxana tried to move to the side, but she was blocked by both of his arms.

"You heard nothing?" He asked. This time, there was a threatening undertone to his voice. He reached up a hand and began to play with the strands of her hair.

Roxana attempted to move out of the way, but was stopped when his hand entangled in her locks. Suddenly, a surge of adrenaline and anger flooded through her. This was all too much for her to take in.

"You are nothing but a barbarian after all! You have said that there would be no changes made to Bactria - " She was hushed when he gently yanked at her hair and tilted her head, his breath falling on her exposed neck.

"Do not raise your voice at me," He said lowly. Roxana began to tremble.

"I have told you that no changes will be made for the Bactrians, and I have kept my word," he continued.

"I will not become your wife," Roxana said indignantly. She could feel him smiling against her neck.

"The choice is entirely up to you," said Alexander, surprising her, "But I must say, if you oblige, it will greatly benefit your father and your brothers. Your entire family would become married to an empire that is much larger and stronger than Bactria. On the contrary, if you refuse..."

Roxana knew what would happen if she refused. Her father would be very, very angry at her for such a foolish decision. She did not want that to happen. Maybe marrying Alexander would please him, the first time she had done so in her life.

"I understand," she said quietly. Sensing her surrender, Alexander let her go.

"But tell me why you are doing this," she said, raising her eyes to him. 

"I have come to Sogdia to conquer a nation. But I found a bright little star, its beauty matched by no one except maybe the wife of Darius," Alexander said with a twinkle in his eye, " I wish to make such a beauty my queen. Besides," he said against her ear, "your defiant attitude beckons for me to conquer it."

***

"What do you think, Hepheastion?" Alexander and his most trusted general were reclining at one of the rooms provided for them. Alexander was sitting lazily on the couch, his cloak had been unpinned from his broad shoulders and lay in a heap beside him, while Hephaestion stood quietly eyeing the tapestries on the walls. They were talking about his impending marriage.

"My king, you have not married before," said Hephaestion, his eyebrows furrowing. "As we know, marriage is a sacred thing. It would not be wise to choose a foreign woman as your lifelong companion. Also, she is but a captive. It is in your power to do what you wish with her."

"I will not force her against their will, especially not outside of wedlock," said Alexander. "You know that is one of my strict rules. Besides, I am intrigued not only by her but by this foreign culture, this richness of it all. Through marriage, we would be adjoined to that culture. Think about the banquets Darius held in palaces such as this!" 

"Yes, there used to be banquets at Persepolis all the time, an opulent, grand palace which you burned down." There was a twinkle in Hephaestion's eye as he said this. He ran a hand through his curly brown hair and glanced at Alexander.

"I've regretted the action many times." Alexander said, straightening up slightly. "But one cannot dwell on the past. I have already conquered Persepolis, there is nothing I can do about it now."

"Then you cannot let the foreign things conquer you. A great commander cannot let anything conquer him, and I mean it in whatever form that defeat comes in. That could be a woman. And you who have never known defeat since the first battle you fought!"

"I appreciate your concern." Spoke Alexander, getting up briskly. "But I do not agree that marrying a foreign woman is equivalent to defeat. In fact, the marriage would further secure ties between the Macedonians and the Persians." Hephaestion did not reply. As Alexander strode out the door, he picked up his cloak which he seemed to have forgotten. Placing his hand on his shoulder, he handed it to him. 

"Forgive me," Hephaestion said softly, "I am merely afraid that I will lose the heart of my friend to a foreign woman. My friend since childhood, whom I have gone through wrestling matches, through battles, and through hell with." Hearing this, the commander's expression softened.

"Hephaestion, you are my lifelong friend whom I cherish with all my heart, and nothing will ever change that. Rest now," Alexander said, "We have another conquest ahead of us, and many more after that."