Chapter VII - The Valiance of King Porus

"India is mine," Alexander said against Roxana's ear. They were back at the Macedonian camp. Alexander was seated in his chair with Roxana on another chair beside and his generals surrounding him. 

"He is coming here to meet you," one of his warriors told Alexander. At this Alexander rose on his feet and quickly advanced towards King Porus. King Porus was on his feet, clad in rich chainmail and a helmet with feathers extending downwards to a very prominent beard. Behind him followed some of his infantrymen and his elephant. Upon seeing Alexander, Porus gave a bow.

"You are very valiant. I admire your courage in fighting to the end," Alexander spoke.

"You have made a worthy opponent," King Porus replied, "But now I must surrender to you. I suppose you will now reign as king in India instead of me. And I, I have merely become a captive of war."

"No, stop," said Alexander, coming forwards with conviction in his steps, "Only tell me, mighty Porus," he asked, his eyes focussing on the middle aged man bowing before him, "How would you like to be treated?" There was a pause before Porus replied.

"Treat me as a king would treat another king," he said. Alexander straightened, a look of satisfaction on his face.

"Very well," He said, "You shall retain all your lands, only if you acknowledge that I have defeated you." Porus looked up in astonishment. He seemed to be at loss at words. 

"King Porus, would you accept a gift from me as well?" Roxana spoke up, to the surprise of Alexander and his generals. Slowly, Roxana took a colourful bracelet from her sleeve and stood up. Walking towards King Porus, she extended the bracelet out to him. It was a colourful, beaded thing, with a round pendant in the middle. 

"It is a rakhi," King Porus stated. 

"Yes," Roxana said, "This is to signify that I am now your sister, and the country where I come from, Sogdia, is your sister nation."

King Porus extended his arm. Roxana tied the rakhi onto his wrist, stepped back and smiled. She was aware that Alexander had moved up behind her and had put an arm around her waist. 

"Then from today onwards, you shall be my ally," Alexander told King Porus. 

***

Roxana gazed at the sun setting in the horizon. She looked at the soldiers surrounding her in the camp. They looked as young and proud as ever, but they all looked exhausted. At the centre of them, there was the golden head that she knew. 

Everyone was weak, tired, or splotched in blood, so nobody bothered to enter the tents. They sat on the boulders, or simply on the dirt ground. The maids and the servants came and tended to those who were wounded. Alexander stood up.

"Macedonians, you have fought well today!" He declared. The soldiers looked up, their expressions weary and burdened.

"What comes now?" One of them asked, "Are we allowed to go home?" The others nodded in agreement. Alexander put up his hand.

"No, we shall go on, deeper into India, subduing tribes along the way."

"Alexander, is it not wiser to return home and strengthen the forces before we conquer any more territory?" Asked Ptolemy. A look of annoyance crossed Alexander's features. The soldiers seemed to be roused by Ptolemy' words and they grumbled amongst themselves.

"We want to go home." Someone said, loud enough so that others could ear.

"We have accompanied you since Gaugamela, and Sogdia, and now, India. It is time to return to Macedonia, our homeland." Still another complained.

"Roxana." Alexander spoke across to her. 

"Yes?" She looked up in surprise.

"What are these men saying about me?"

"They are not saying anything about you, my lord, they merely wish to go home as they are disheartened after the lengthy conquests." Alexander nodded. He licked his lips and rubbed his chin thoughtfully. 

"Gentlemen," He spoke. The soldiers hushed, wanting to hear what their commander had to say.

"I could not have blamed you for being the first to lose heart if I, your commander, had not shared in your exhausting marches and your perilous campaigns. But it is not so. You and I, have shared the labour and shared the danger, and the rewards are for us all. The conquered territory belongs to you; from Egypt, to Persia," Here he gazed at Roxana, "to Sogdia, and indeed I will find cities in Hydaspes for governors to be chosen from your ranks. With that accomplished, why do you hesitate to extend the power of Macedon, your power, to the tribes of this land? Are you afraid that a few natives will offer any strong opposition?" Alexander looked around, but none of his warriors could meet his eye.

"I tell you, when all of Asia is conquered, I will go further than the mere satisfaction of our ambitions. The hopes of riches or power which each of us cherish will be far surpassed. Whoever wishes to return home will be allowed to go, either with me or without me. But I will make those who stay the envy of those who return."

Silence reigned for a while. Then Polyperchon raised up his cup of water.

"For the power of Macedonia!" He shouted, his deep voice ringing out.

"For the power of Macedonia!" The men imitated, and clinked together their cups and chugged them down thirstily. Dusk crept over the land, and the soldiers, who had become more heartened after hearing Alexander's words, began at their tasks again, some lighting the fires, others sharpening their spears. 

Then night fell.