With Susannah Oddi

Hi, Sus, congratulations on placing First in Round 1, of the Open Novella Contest! We love to hear from authors like yourself and get to know a little bit about what motivates you when writing works of fiction.

Thank you! Well, in the case of the Open Novella Contest, it was the deadline that motivated me to write. I am a tediously slow writer and always find a hundred and five reasons as to why my writing is not ready to post online. I am always saddened when my favourite book or screen series ends. The idea of creating a story world and characters that can be ongoing and intertwined is perhaps what motivates me the most to write fiction.

So, to begin, tell us a little bit about yourself as an author on Wattpad. For anyone who hasn't met you before, how would you describe your fiction?

I would describe my writing as a gaslamp fantasy / gothic pastiche, that plays with duality and internal and external conflicts of good and evil. Most of my stories are related to a Victorian lunatic asylum, where the patients are 'Tempered', of mixed magical blood. During the Age of Enlightenment, religious ideology was replaced by medical ideology and supposed witches who would have once been burned at the stake as heretics were viewed as mentally ill. Persecutions waned, and asylums opened across Europe to confine lunatics.

This led to the premise for my serial novel-in-progress- A Cunning of Madness. What if the lunatics committed to asylums were not mad, but were witches and supernatural creatures?

Let's talk a bit about your entry for the Open Novella Contest - The Devil's Master. Can you tell us about the book and its premise?

The Devil's Master is a very early 'prequel' story of the 'Tempered'. It is set in the mid-1600's and is a tale of a young woman- Laura, who is drawn to a stranger who offers to unlock the secrets of her magical lineage. To unravel her 'gift', and to avenge the deaths of her loved ones, Laura travels to London - a supernatural hive of murder, blood, and disease.

I'd sum it up as a supernatural gothic melodrama. Laura also features in another of my short stories- Arresting Sight. I am sure a couple of new characters within it will pop up in my later Tales.

What drove you to use this particular prompt? And how did you shape the story with the prompt in mind?

I used the village healer prompt as I had researched history on European witch-hunts and the difference between malevolent and beneficent witches. I had read about 'cunning folk', village healers that were often called on to cure those that had been cursed or bewitched. It seemed like a perfect fit.

What were some of the challenges you faced when writing 'The Devil's Master'?

I am familiar with writing in a Victorian setting. My novella is set 250 years earlier, so I admit, I was a little out of my comfort zone. The biggest plus of the contest, the deadlines, is also the biggest challenge. I have an academic book chapter due at the end of the month, on creative writing in Wattpad as part of a Ph.D. I do intend to complete my novella in the coming weeks, though I will be stretched to complete the 20K by the end of this month.

Tell us about your experience participating in the Open Novella Contest.

I absolutely loved writing for this contest. I usually outline and edit for eternity, so having to write asap, without overthinking it, was both daunting and very exciting. While I am a planner of plots, I prefer dialogue and action to reveal character traits while I am writing rather than creating character sketches prior. I love entering Wattpad contests as they provide me with the opportunity to write character backstories as individual tales. Plus, reader feedback is invaluable. My stories are related, so I can ensure the characters which are the most engaging have greater roles in my other works.

If you had the opportunity to shout out one other book which is participating in the Open Novella Contest, which would it be?

Only one? How about two? I am a sucker for bloodsuckers and dark creatures, so my favourites at present are Rosalind by @Nyhterides and Mina's Children by @NatashaDuncanDrake.

Lastly, because we're always curious ... What was your first ever experience with the power of the written language?

I grew up as an avid reader rather than a writer. The first stories I remember being totally enchanted by were The Wishing Chair, The Magician's Nephew and The Wizard of Earthsea. Now, I am enjoying reading them all over again with my children. I love the personal and intertextual associations of reading. When I left school, I backpacked across Europe, before the days of mobile phones and Facebook. I read dozens and dozens of books. Now, when I pick those books up again, not only am I am reminded of the epic stories within, they transport me back to the places I visited –
I read Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum while in Paris, I sobbed hysterically on a train in Italy when reading The Last of the Mohicans, and I enjoyed a glorious summer in Hyde Park in London reading Dracula.

It's been great hearing from you, Sus. Best wishes in your future endeavours from our team.

I'd like to thank all the ambassador profiles for creating such a terrific and diverse contest. I am looking forward to reading more of the entries. Thanks so much for inviting me along for a chat.

Our goal is to bring you many more exclusive interviews with people who aren't just Wattpad Stars or Staff, but also some pretty awesome authors.
In that quest, next we will be talking to theemmpress, so stick around for more fun!