Chapter 14

I woke up in a cold sweat. My hands were clammy and my mind was racing. "You're finally awake. Are you okay?" a soft voice asked me from my side. I turned to see Davina sitting at the side of the bed her eyes holding genuine concern.

"I-I'm fine." I stuttered out as I caught my breath.

"You don't seem fine." She said leaning in. The look she was giving me was something unfamiliar and confusing. Her eyes showed no sign of underlying intentions.

"I am." I insisted. Her eyes were extraordinary. I wanted to admire them. I wanted to enjoy that feeling for just one moment of knowing that someone was purely concerned for the sake of caring and no other reason. But reality hit me. I had learnt something during my century of life, no one cared for the sake of caring. If I couldn't see Davina's true intentions then all that meant was she was good at hiding them.

"Are you sure? I can get you-"

"Just leave." I said suddenly. Davina's eyebrows raised up in surprise but she did not move, "Please." I added as a second thought.

There was a second of hesitation as she processed what I said and then a curt nod. Carefully she stood up from where she was siting and walked out of the room.

The second the door closed I let out a breath of air I hadn't known I had been holding in. Why had I done that? Davina had saved me from Klaus. And now I just pushed her away like she meant nothing to me.

But she did mean nothing to me. Why would she? I had known her little over a month. She was merely a speck on the enduring timeline that was my life.

I refused to think on the subject for any longer. It would do me no good. Instead I forced myself up and into the abattoir. Upon arrival I saw that many vampires were gathered around awaiting something.

"Hey, Marcel," a vampire I recognized as Diego called out, "maybe you know what's going on. Klaus ordered us to meet here, and now he's a no-show."

Marcellus was leaning back in his chair with a half drunk glass of scotch in his hand. His eyes held a defeated and disinterested look, "What do you want from me? It's a new regime. Get used to it." he muttered not even bothering to look up.

Suddenly the main doors to the abattoir opened and in walked Niklaus making sure to make a spectacle and call attention to himself as usual. Matching strides with him was a man in a hideous fedora.

"Dearest brethren, your attention, please. No doubt, you're all surprised to see Thierry Vanchure, who's supposed to be rotting in the Garden for the crime of killing one of our own, and I personally decided to issue him with a pardon. I hope you'll all welcome home Thierry."

"Welcome home, man." Diego smiled and hugged his old friend.

"You're in a good mood. You should visit Mystic Falls more often." Marcel remarked. Klaus had gone to the town where our village had once been? How long had I been out?

"Well, as much as I might like to, I have pressing responsibilities here." Klaus turned to address the crowd of vampires and in doing so locked eyes with me. I held his gaze refusing to be the one to look away first. The action may have been immature and trivial, yes, but Klaus didn't look away either. "Now, as you all know, the witch Davina no longer holds acess to the power of the other harvest witches. Without Davina's power, we can no longer monitor the activity of our witch neighbors. However, since their Harvest failed, their magic will soon be gone forever. Until then, I say we keep them on their toes. Diego, I wonder if you might lead a rousting in the cauldron."

Diego and the other vampires left smiling with plans of mischief swirling around their minds. Marcellus, however, stayed where he was, still not even looking up from his drink.

"Marcel, I'd hoped you would join Diego." Klaus asked.

Marcel got up from his spot and pushed past Klaus, "Nah. I'm gonna take a personal day." He snarked as we walked out leaving Niklaus irritated.

I snorted at his actions causing my brother to look back up to where I was perched on the balcony above. After everything that had happened all Niklaus granted me with was a scowl and an annoyed roll of the eyes before following after him.That was as good of a sign as any that things were back to normal.