Chapter 40

My family needs some persuasion like expected. My mother and uncle Lars want to do something against S.H.I.E.L.D. for taking me in like that, however little. But I manage to make them see my point of view eventually, with some help from Lisa, Loki and Thor. It takes some long Skype calls with my mother, but in the end they are all on board. They are even ok with me and Loki being together. Seeing as Loki behaves like the perfect gentleman every time they see him, they can't really object. He is raised as a prince and that is showing in everything he does.

My family and I don't talk about me having magic a lot. Lars and Lisa just don't mention it and Yvonne sees it as some sort of spiritual thing. My mother can't wrap her head around it, she has a hard time believing it's real. I guess it's difficult to understand, certainly from the other side of the world. I can't really show it on a webcam, it's not I can make a flame dance on my hand like Loki. My mom has not told William about me having magic, and that's ok. I don't think there are any people with known powers in Holland, at least, I haven't heard of it. And I'm not planning on becoming the first one.

With help from Loki I discover how I can actively use my powers. When I concentrate I can guide the heat through my arm to my hand. But even when I am controlling it, it just makes people relaxed and talkative. Pretty harmless, if you ask me. My fighting skills on the other hand are getting better. I actually train two to three times a week in the gym at Stark Tower. Martial arts training by Loki, but also regular cardio fitness. Recently Heimdall started teaching me how to swing a sword. Right now, I've just barely made it past the starting point of fighting with a stick, but I really enjoy it. Knowing how to defend myself properly makes me feel confident and strong, even though I don't use it in regular life.

"Straighten your back, Ylva. Feet apart, both hands on the hilt." Heimdall is a strict teacher, always making me focus and constantly correcting my posture. Loki watching doesn't help either. If Heimdall is not correcting me, Loki will. But this evening he's not here, he went to a council meeting with Thor.

They brought in a dummy target for me to practice on, Thor has taped a headshot of agent Wilde on the head. He even doodled a mustache and glasses on the picture! That got a good laugh out of me when I saw it. Thor can be really serious and king-like, but in private he often acts like a big kid. Last week I walked in on him and Heimdall playing Mario Kart. Heimdall was very fast to give over his controller to me, so I could play with Thor instead of him. Playing the video game with Thor gave me the giggles because Thor was reacting so vividly to everything in the game. I actually fell off the couch at one point, getting shoved by Thor because I hit him with a blue shell.

I am practicing the series of blows Heimdall showed me earlier. The agent Wilde dummy wobbles back and forth from the impacts.
"Good, Ylva. Now do it faster." Heimdall counts to the desired rhythm of the blows.

The big sword is actually pretty heavy and I can feel my arms tire. The first lesson with the sword gave me so much muscle pain I could barely lift a tray of coffee and cake the next day.
When Heimdall is satisfied with my progress, he calls the practice to an end. I help him put away the swords when Sharon Carter walks in, carrying a gym bag. She waves a hello and goes over to the cardio room.

I thank Heimdall for his lesson of this evening and go after Sharon. It's been a few weeks since I've seen her and I'd like to chat. After all, she has been friendly, even though she was only around to keep an eye on me. Sharon got on one of the cardio bikes and I take the one next to her, putting it on an easy setting. I don't need a work out anymore after my sword practice.

By the looks on her face, Sharon finds it a bit awkward that I am here. So I just start talking like nothing is the matter, asking her how she is. After we've exchanged pleasantries, she makes a remark about the agent Wilde dummy.