14

Finally stepping into the shower in her quarters was the best feeling Amber had felt in months. Six symmetrically arranged nozzles blasted her with hot water from all directions, scouring away the exhaustion of the past few days. She dug her hands into her thick locks of ebony hair, forcing the water through it, losing herself in the warm fug of steam. For the next twenty-four hours she could stop being an operative.

She didn't know how long she stayed in the shower, but when she stepped dripping out into her room she felt like her whole body had been reset. The chambers given to the operatives were spacious, lightly furnished affairs, but over her time in the organisation Amber had added bits and pieces to make it feel more like home. Her eyes wandered to the picture of Illuvari's skyline that filled the wall above her desk. Conflicting emotions roiled through her at the sight. The artist had captured the majesty, the silver needles of the spires and the searing cobalt blue of the sky. It was a beautiful snapshot of a beautiful world.

But looking at it reminded Amber just how little she knew about humanity's reign across the stars. The journeys from planet to planet had opened her eyes and she didn't like what she saw. There were a lot of dark, deadly places out there that needed no help from alien entities or primeval monsters to fill her with dread.

Feeling her mood start to darken, she shoved those thoughts to the back of her mind and instead set about making herself look presentable for the first time in weeks. She dried herself off and started getting dressed.

Not being on duty also meant that for a change, she could dress like a normal person rather than donning the black fatigues of the Blink operatives. Amber opened up the single clothes locker embedded in the wall of her room and took stock. She picked out a top the colour of midnight blue, an expensive cloud-soft garment of pryo-silk from her collection back on Illuvari.

Sliding it over her head she smiled as the material hugged her body, cutting off just below her ribs and leaving her midriff exposed. The time training with Blink had left her body lean and toned, and she didn't get a lot of chances to show it off. She wasn't sure exactly who for, but being an operative for a covert enforcement agency hadn't changed the fact she was a teenager. Boys she knew from back home now seemed so out of sync with her world. There was so much she'd never be able to say; so much she would have to keep secret that it made the very prospect of a relationship with a normal person make her head spin. Which left her with the people who knew what she knew; who did what she did.

And Hekket's face came wandering unbidden into her mind's eye. She bit her lip. Their friendship had hit a rocky start after the mission in Titan Aquilla, but since then both of them had gotten over the awkwardness. More and more she felt like he was the one person in the squad whose thoughts aligned with hers. The deeper they plunged into this manhunt the more she saw Darien's violent streak start to push to the surface. She tried her best to balance it, to be the compassionate voice, and Hekket was always right there with her.

And he was attractive in a shy, reserved sort of way.

Amber sighed. The rules were clear and she knew them word for word: no romantic relationships between operatives serving in the same Blink Squadron will be permitted. If any such relationship is to develop, both parties involved must disclose this information immediately to their immediate superiors and appropriate action will be taken.

She pinched the bridge of her nose. Now probably wasn't the best time to dwell on it. They had a twenty-four hour respite, but she knew it wouldn't be long before Hammerhead Squad was hurled back into the fray. She buckled on a black leather skirt over grey leggings, and slipped her feet into a pair of ankle-length boots. They looked good, but more importantly they felt good. It had been a long time since she'd worn anything but the Blink issue combat boots.