19

Darien had watched the footage from their encounter with the mystery ship over and over and over. He couldn't find anything in it to disprove Amber's startling declaration. The way the ship bent the space around it, distorting the very fabric of reality resembled Blink travel too much to be a coincidence.

But that only ignited another question in his mind: how?

Blink was biological, not technological. He could open a window large enough to transport himself and one other person at a push. Beyond that the error margins in the calculations increased exponentially and the whole process became incredibly dangerous. It was impossible for a single operative to create a passage through space-time big enough to transport a whole ship.

His thoughts turned grimly to the kids that had been snatched from their homes up and down colonial space. It was no coincidence. Whatever method their enemies had used to build a Blink ship, it had something to do with the kidnap victims. It would be up to them to find out what.

The door tone of his room on the station sounded. Rubbing his eyes with both hands, he flopped back in his seat and called, "It's open."

With a hiss the door opened and Niamh stepped inside. Her jacket hung in one hand and she gently pressed the button to seal the room again. She crossed the room and leaned down, resting her chin on his shoulder, putting an arm around him. He closed his eyes, inhaling deeply, feeling her breath against his cheek.

"How're you doing?" she asked quietly.

"Too much thinking to do," he muttered. "Something just doesn't feel right."

Her grip around him tightened into a reassuring hug. "If everything were right we wouldn't have a job."

With a sigh he stood up, turning to face her. "I just can't get my head round it. How can a ship Blink?"

"We don't know if that's what happened."

"It's the only thing that ticks all the boxes."

She shrugged. "We'll find them – you know we will. And when we do all the mysteries, all the secrets, we'll get the answers. In the meantime..." she cocked her head to one side, a mischievous smile on her face. "I thought you might like to take your mind off things."

"Oh yeah?"

"We've got some time while the techs do their thing." Her smile broadened and her gaze wandered up and down his body. "No cameras in here either. We're alone for a change."

Darien grinned at that. It would certainly be a good way to get both of their minds off the mess they currently had to deal with. He let his eyes pass over her lithe, slender frame and felt blood rushing to his cheeks.

"So, what do you say, sir?"

Unable to think of anything snappy or romantic to say, Darien took a single stop forward and slipped his hand around her back, feeling her muscles tense beneath the smooth fabric of her top. A small breath caught in her throat as he pulled her close. She dropped her jacket on the floor and her hands rose, resting against his chest.

Niamh looked at him, her biological eye twinkling. Then she ran her hands up his torso to the sides of his neck and she closed the remaining distance between them in a sudden motion. Darien closed his eyes, feeling her lips push against his and his grip around her waist tightened reflexively.

The warmth of her body rushed through him as they became entwined around each other. His fingers slid under her top, caressing her smooth, soft skin and he felt her shudder with pleasure. With his free hand he cupped the back of her neck, holding her close as their kisses became more frantic; frenzied. She surged forward, wrapping a leg around him and pushing him back against the table with a crash.