Chapter Fourteen

...One week later.

________________________________________

~Dylan

________________________________________

"So it was all...an act?" I muttered, disbelief lacing my voice.

Kent shook his head. "I'm sorry, buddy. I really am."

I sighed. "Well, I don't really have the right to be mad at her, do I? I mean, neither of us really deserves the Best Mate of the Year award, huh?"

Kent chuckled and I grinned. "Glad to have you back, buddy," he said, clapping me gently on the shoulder. "Running the pack has been tough without you."

I rolled my eyes. "Fuck off, don't lie to me. You've probably thrown more parties in this past week than I have in my entire life, am I right?"

We glared at each other for a minute before bursting into laughter. The doctor who had been checking my vitals next to my bed this entire time cleared his throat.

"What?" Kent asked.

"You shouldn't make him laugh so hard right off the bat," he said sternly. "He just woke up. He techhnically still had a concussion, even though most of his other injuries have healed. I suggest allowing him to relax for several more days before resuming a daily routine."

Kent's expression fell. "Seriously? I thought you said--"

"Kent, it's fine," I muttered. "Don't argue." He staed at me with his mouth open, shocked I wasn't taking his side.

When the doctor left the room, I winked and said, "Like I'd let that idiot decide when I should get up. Don't worry, a few more minutes and I'll be good as new, ready to see the pack."

He grinned. "Like I said, good to have you back."

"I'm glad to see you're feeling better."

Kent and I turned our heads toward the doorway, where the voice had spoken from. Upon seeing Mark, Kent jumped up and began growling, his eyes glowing yellow as his wolf threatened to take over. "Don't take another step into this room," he spat angrily. "Touch my Alpha and I swear I'll--"

Mark put his hands up. "I'm not here to hurt Dylan, I swear." He winced. "Hell, I don't even think I could if I wanted. My nose still hurts from when you broke it."

"Good," I said emotionlessly. 

 He winced. "Yeah, I guess I deserved that."

Instead of answering, I sighed. "You know, actually, you don't. I think you deserve..." I swallowed, feeling physical pain at the words about to climb out of my throat. "...An apology."