-7-

The school bell rings at the end of the day.  And Chris's feet drag as he makes his way to his locker.  He knows that Nat will most likely be waiting there for him, at her own locker.  Wanting to hear his side of the story.  Especially since everyone seems to be warning her about him, to be careful around him or to not hurt him.  So even now, he is still haunted by the ghost of Vanessa and what she did to him, the hell she put him through for those few months last year.

How did I get myself into this situation again???

Chris looks up from his feet as he draws nearer to his locker, the answer to his silent question staring right back at him.

Of course, once again it was a pretty face that drew him in. Although this one seems much more sincere than the last.

Maybe she'll understand.

Maybe, just maybe, she'll get him and still want to associate with him after she knows everything.

After he lays himself bare in front of her, all his scars on display. Ripped open and raw.

Natalie's fingers toy with the straps of her backpack as she shyly watches Chris.  His gaze glued to the inside of his locker as he stashed away his books and other supplies.  Finally, after what seems like a lifetime, he shuts his locker and turns to face her.

Green eyes meeting hazel.  Both tinged with curiosity.

Fear.

"Chris???"

He shakes his head, instead reaching gently for her hand. When he does speak it's in a soft, hushed tone. "Hey Nat... not here okay? Just follow me. You trust me right?"

She nods mutely, strawberry blonde hair bobbing about her face as she allows him to pull her out of the building.

They walk in silence, his fingers laced through hers.  Both avoiding any eye care contact with their fellow classmates.   Only when they reach the bleachers surrounding the track does he stop long enough to guide her up to sit beside him on one of the higher levels.

Natalie is the first one to break the silence, although she doesn't try to pull her hand out of his grasp. Not wanting to startle Chris. Still she turns slightly to face him and all but whispers out.

'Chris? Are you going to talk now?'

He breathes out a small sigh and releases the grip he had on her hand. A subtle nod and he begins to speak, eyes still fixed blankly on the empty track and field area.

Talking more about last year, about Cheryl. About Vanessa.

The drugs. The alcohol. The self harm than he has with....

Well honestly with anyone. He hasn't even opened up this much with that therapist he was made to see in the beginning of last summer.

Natalie lets him speak, baring his soul for her without remorse. She just lets him, reserving any comments for afterwards. Not wanting to interrupt him for fear he will just shut down again.

Eventually after what could be minutes or even hours, Chris's words trail off and he falls silent.

He holds out his arm for her to see and her fingers ghost across the faint scars that are barely visible on the tanned surface.

When their eyes meet again, he can see that hers have grown glossy. Filled with pent up emotions. Warily Chris reaches out to run his fingertips along her cheekbone.

"You're freaked out now aren't you, Nat? I wouldn't blame you if you were. I'm a mess, a whole barrel of issues, wrapped up in the skin of a teenage boy."

Natalie shakes her head, not at him but just to clear her mind so that she can get her thoughts across clearly.

Then she smiles at him. Her sunny expression warming him up from the outside just by proxy.

"Christopher Stewart, I'm not the type of girl to run away from someone in need. And from all that you've just explained to me, you need me here. You need a girl who can be your friend, who will care about you despite your past. I can be that type of person for you, if you'll let me..."

The small nod and smile he gives her in return is enough for now. As they both sit there on the bleachers together for a little longer.

Life may not be perfect.

This is no movie.

And by no means is this the end for either of one of them. It's only just the beginning of their story.

One that could eventually, if tended right, lead to a happily ever after for them both.

The End.