Chapter Four

He dragged himself back to Briar feeling lacking as a person.

Comparing himself to Ryan always took a metaphorical wrecking ball to his self-esteem, but he couldn't help it. His friend was social and outgoing. He himself was completely lost.

He was only two steps up Briar's steps when someone extended a hand toward him.

Anthony blinked and looked up.

A man that looked somewhere in his forties was standing a couple steps above him in a rumpled suit, one hand in his pocket, the other waiting for Anthony to accept his handshake.

Anthony slowly took his hand and shook it, looking for any bumps in the material of his suit that might be hiding a badge. He was already running through each of his hypothetical escape plans in the back of his head.

"Hey, son," the man said. His voice was low and rough, but kind. "I was hoping we could talk in private."

Anthony wondered if it was possible to tear open a whole in the ground with his powers. "Oh, um. I'm not sure if I have time right now."

"Pretty sure you do," the man said. "My name's Jeremiah Burke. What's yours?"

Anthony's mouth opened and closed a couple times before he said, "Tony."

Jeremiah Burke gave him a quick once-over. "You don't look much like a Tony, no offense."

"None taken," Anthony said automatically.

"If you won't talk in private then I'm afraid we'll have to talk right here," Jeremiah said. "I know you have powers."

Anthony's face went slack.

Instantly, he felt his body start to shake and overheat, power rushing to the surface in an overwhelming wave— an automatic response to his adrenaline rush. He could run. He could blast this man in the face and run as far as his legs would carry him. He didn't have any money but so long as he got out of the state he'd be under a different set of laws. California had some of the more lenient laws when it came to power usage—

"Kid," Jeremiah said.

Anthony blinked, swallowing hard. "I'm afraid you're mistaken."

"Little late for a lie after that reaction, don't you think?" Jeremiah raised a thick, bushy eyebrow.

"It's not a lie," Anthony said quickly. "I just can't believe you think I have powers."

"Well, lucky for you," Jeremiah said in such a way that hinted it was not at all lucky for Anthony, "my powers enable me to sense other people with them. I saw you coming this way and saw it right away. You're practically a beacon."

Anthony blinked a couple more times, then said, "You're that Jeremiah Burke. The lawyer."

Jeremiah nodded. "That's me."

"You don't sense powers," Anthony said, "you sense powered DNA. A person can have powered DNA without having it manifest in actual powers."

"It happens, yes, but it's rare." Jeremiah tipped his head back and took a deep, long breath. "No one else that's walked past this building has one-tenth as much power as you."

One-tenth. Right. Because he'd lied on his form and said he was 10% when really he was 100%. Because he was an idiot.

Anthony gave a derisive snort and tried to side-step Jeremiah.

It didn't work. He got a large, calloused hand planted on his chest that stopped him mid-stride and nearly made him stumble.

"I haven't gone to the press," Jeremiah said in a low voice, "and I haven't told any of my contacts. The reason is because a kid like you is hiding in a place like this out of fear. I don't claim to know what that reason is, but you need help. I can offer it."

"How do you know I'm scared?" Anthony snapped. "I'm not—"

"Oh, please," Jeremiah snorted. "Like you said, I'm a lawyer. I know when people are scared."

"What will you do if I don't go with you?" Anthony asked.

Jeremiah removed his hand and shrugged. "I'll go to the authorities." Anthony's mouth dropped open and Jeremiah quickly added, "Nobody should be running around here having meltdowns with powers that strong. I don't care if you're good or if you're bad. Mistakes are too costly."

"I can control it," Anthony said with more conviction than he felt.

Jeremiah gave him a disparaging look. "Mhm. Sure you can. That's why there's a big ass hole in the wall and the bathroom looks like a mini volcano just took place."

Anthony frowned. "It's not that bad."

"Have you been back there?" Jeremiah asked. "It's bad."

When Anthony scowled and started to move past again, Jeremiah cleared his throat loudly and said, "If you go into that building without giving me a chance, I'm afraid I'm going to have to return the favor."

Anthony stopped walking. He felt the sun on his back and stared down at his shadow like it could explain his current predicament. His parents never would have made this mistake. There was a reason they tried to bargain with him to get him to take online classes, but he was too stubborn to listen. The one time he was stubborn with his mom and dad, and this was the result.

"I'm listening." His voice sounded foreign to his own ears— it was too flat and listless.

"Good," Jeremiah said. "Here's the deal. You come with me to my place. We figure out the ins-and-outs of your abilities, and when you're comfortable with them, you can transfer to a powered school."

"I can't stay here?" Anthony frowned.

"No, kid, you can't stay here." Jeremiah jammed his hands into his pockets. "You're putting people at risk. I know it sounds harsh, but you need to hear it. If you stay, you might end up killing somebody."

"I have a dorm room," Anthony said numbly, like that stopped it all from happening. "I— I'm required to live on-campus the first year."

Jeremiah nodded like he already knew this. "You'll visit me outside of classes. We'll figure out an outlet for you and get you set up with a practicing schedule. Okay?"

Anthony shook his head slightly. "I'm going to need to think about it. I'll need to see your place first."

"That's fine," Jeremiah said. "Here's my business card. Call me when you figure it out."

Anthony took it and stared down at it for a few seconds. His silence prompted Jeremiah into saying, "If you try to run..."

"I know." Anthony cut in. "You'll tell the authorities."

"No," Jeremiah said. "You look like the kind of person who's too good at running for that. If you try to run, I'll go to my contacts. They won't hurt you, but they will bring you in."

"It sounds like you're trying to trap me," Anthony said. "Not offer me a way out."

Jeremiah shrugged, that pleasant look still taped to his face. "Same difference for people like you."

Anthony tried not to look too defensive. "People like me," he repeated.

Jeremiah nodded. "I'm only forty-five percent. Whatever you are, it's a hell of a lot more. That requires more attention. More care."

Anthony tipped his head, some of his hair falling over his forehead. "I can't decide if you're trying to take advantage of me or if you're actually trying to help."

"Can't it be both?" the lawyer grinned, all teeth.