*Chapter Seventeen*

~ KINLEY~

The clinking of a female warrior's armor echoes off the cloud gray venetian plastered walls and pearl white concrete floor that imitates the appearance of marble. Every surface in here is slick and glistening, so polished and spotless you could eat off the floor and the food would be the dirtier of the two.

"It's a communal bathroom so she won't have her own, but it will be warm and clean. As it's 10:30, group C is currently taking their showers." The female vampire continues walking down the long hallway, carrying a set of neatly folded white towels and a washrag. "The laundress will see to it she is issued a nightgown for the night. By morning, we'll have located an extra set of clothes in her size."

"This is the girls' ward?" Tristan asks, his hand pressing me along as I turn to look at a group of girls that appear to be around the ages of eleven through fourteen. They are all walking in a single file, hands clasped in front of them, heads down.

The vampire leading them shushes a pair of girls who giggle about something. Telling them to be quiet or they will wake the little ones.

"Yes. The boys' ward is in the building next door. We make every effort to keep them separate. I'm sure you understand our reasons." The female vampire leading us stops in front of a labyrinth entrance.

Humidity and steam reach out from what lies beyond the curved wall I can't see around. I don't need vamp hearing to hear the soft chatter, short bursts of laughter, and giddy glee that filter through. The merriment of human voices twists in my gut until it gives birth to anxiousness. All of the servants at the castle are silent, walking corpses that do chores. Sure, I've seen some of them smile and exchange looks to one another, but I've never heard them laugh or giggle or say anything really. The only phrases my head human caretaker says are things like: this way, your bath awaits, it's time for your walk, or dinner's ready.

Adalynn, Cora, and Lena are the only humans I've held a conversation with. What if I don't know how to relate? What if they spurn me like some of the vampirie do? Will they be able to tell I'm immortal?

"I'm sure the accommodations will do. It's better than the alternative," Tristan replies.

I take the towels the female vamp extends to me, peering into the communal bathroom that hides around the corner. Suddenly, being stuck with Tristan Darkos out in the woods doesn't seem so scary.

"Ah." The female vamps arm comes down, separating Tristan from me as I begin to walk toward the curved wall, towels clenched tightly to my chest.

What kind of first impression am I making? All I have on is a slip. A dirty slip at that and my hair is an absolute mess. Sand granules are still stuck in it, or is it angel ash?

"Females only. Once she's washed, I'll make sure to personally escort her to the room we're preparing as requested."

Since the first time since we've entered this steel fortress, Tristan's hand leaves the hilt of his sword. "Wouldn't want to mess up the routine, would we?"

"Routines are important. We have schedules to stick to. There's a commander's quarter if you would like to rinse off. You can leave your armor outside the door. I'll see that it's polished until the wickedness of your black heart shines through." The female vampire gestures to a door at the end of the hallway that reads Restricted Area. It has a strange metal box mounted on the wall beside the door with a little button right above the box.

"Buzz them and they will let you in. I will watch over her. You need not worry."

Tristan crosses his arms over his broad chest. "You have a half-hour, a second longer and I will come fetch you myself."