Chapter 38

A special thanks to amazingmoonie
for voting and commenting on every single chapter. You have been very kind to me.

~*~*~

        Alexa turned around hastily only for her eyes to land on the deep chocolaty ones.

        She blinked.

        Once.

        Twice.

        She looked again. The eyes that she adored were not there. He was not present in the Great hall.

        Was she hallucinating?

        Was she out of her mind?

        Oh, Helga! This snake was driving her crazy. After the third kiss, it was like he was the only thing that occupied her mind.

        Her cheeks crimsoned. She turned back immediately and her eyes landed on her best friend. Well to be precise her only friend who knew her secret. Well partially. Heat spread in her body when she saw his lower lip tucked hard among his teeth. He was trying hard to suppress his laughter. After all, it was not some difficult Ravenclaw riddle to figure out what she was thinking.

        "Missing - " He opened his mouth to speak, but was cut off by Alexa.

        "Don't" She hissed. Pointing her finger at him. "See you in the common room."

        She gathered her things and left that embarrassing place as fast as her feet could take her. By the time she reached the magnificent doors of that enormous hall, she heard booming laughter of that McLaggen boy.

        "Jerk" She muttered.

~

        Alexa's mind was clouded as her legs carried her to the quiet and serene solitude of Black Lake instead of cosy and warm common room of badgers. A sigh escaped her mouth when she remembered her recent days.

        The news of Tom kissing her spread like wildfire. When he had kissed her in the library in front of the Prewett boy, the kiss had gone unnoticed. How? She had no idea. However this time, it appeared to her that her stars were not favouring her. Whatever it might be, she was sure Logan was not an initiator of that grapevine.

        She halted as she reached the spot which gave her a clear view of the forbidden forest. A chill ran down her spine as her last full moon crossed her mind. All she remembered was waking up in the warm office of her Transfiguration master. Being a metamorphmagus wolf had its perks. Not losing the human mind, able to control the hunger of human flesh, faster healing, and being able to remember the events were the most prominent. She tried to remember.

        Her left hand clutched her head as a sharp pain shot through her mind. Of course, it wouldn't work.      

        "Stupid."

        She cursed herself. Dumbledore had told her that he had used a memory charm on her. He said it was better if what had happened that night was kept a secret and she believed him. After all, he was the only person because of whom she was able to attend this school in the first place. However, you can never blame a girl for being curious.

        Her trance broke when she felt a light tap on her right shoulder. She turned around to see it was a pretty brown-haired teenager - Olive Hornby. Her light grey eyes were narrowed on Alexa.

        "Yes?" Alexa raised her eyebrows at the unexpected visitor she had. No matter how badly she hated bullying, she was not going to give the latter a chance to start an argument.

        In response, the girl narrowed her eyes more. "You are not even good looking." She spat.

        Taken aback, Alexa spoke, "Excuse me?"

        "I mean look at you. So average, so dull, so ... nothing." The rude Slytherin muttered, not even trying to hide her distaste. "Maybe you seduced him in getting that kiss. Yes, that makes sense. I don't understand why otherwise would Tom even look at you."

        She had known that this would happen from day one. This was what she was afraid of. She hated getting attention, but that annoying git had some different idea. The more walls she built, the better the equipment he used to break them down.

        She knew she was not, what they called? Ah yes, goddess-like. She knew she was an average person. Well as average as her condition allowed her to be. She also knew that the snake was extremely good looking. With his sharp features and mysterious aura, and not to forget his intensely deep chocolaty eyes that could pierce through your soul without even trying, he was very easy on eyes. However, if this bully had a misconception regarding Alexa being okay with her nonsense, the former was in for a massive surprise.

        I am not a fragile princess who needs rescuing. I can protect myself and those around me.

        Alexa recalled the words she used to recite to her mother. She wouldn't be her mother's daughter if she didn't stand for herself.

        "Why am I not surprised that you get Dreadful in your subjects?" Alexa replied tapping her index on her chin mocking thoughtfulness. "After all you are stupid enough to not understand the fact as simple as this."

        "WHAT?" Olive fumed. "What the hell do you mean by that? And how the hell do you even know that?"

        "What I meant is, look at yourself." Alexa pointed to the girl in front of her. "A snobby little girl not minding her business, at the same time desperately trying to catch Tom's attention, or any male wizard's for that matter." She consciously ignored the pang of possessiveness she felt while saying his name.

        Alexa toned down her pitch and muttered,

       "About the second question, I am not liable to give you an answer."

       She turned around to pick up her bag and leave the place, no more willing to spend some time in her favourite place. Her tone turned dark, even darker than a clouded night sky, 

       "And next time, watch your tongue when you speak to me, Hornby. I am not Myrtle Warren to let you go without consequences."

        Not looking back the hybrid female left the scene.

~*~*~

Dedication to those who have faced bullying in their lives. Congratulations! You, my dear friend, are a fighter to survive through a malign act.

This chapter,

-> stated why Alexa was not showing any signs of remembrance of her encounter with Tom in the forbidden forest.

-> refers to her mother's memory from chapter 17.

-> some characteristics of hybrid, I imagined.

If you don't know, Dreadful is a grade.

I hope you like this chapter.

Please vote and share the story of you want to read more because it will motivate me in writing more.

Thank you all!!!