11

I don't remember what it's like not to feel broken...

I don't think I can function properly again.

Everyday, since the... accident, Daisy has come over after school to talk to me. But I don't talk back; I say nothing and let her words wash over me as I sit in a haze and try to keep breathing. Eventually though, her visits became less, until I rarely saw her- once a week at best.

And then I didn't see her for one week, two... three, and I still sat there, staring at the wall, through the wall, leaving my Mother and brother and daughter to suffer in their own way.

But then, quite suddenly, Daisy and Louis were standing in front of me, smiling hopefully, speaking words that I couldn't hear over the buzzing in my ears. I didn't respond because I'd forgotten how. I didn't speak because I couldn't. I didn't even acknowledge their presence, because I didn't fully realise they were there. That is, until Daisy reaches out and shook for shoulders, causing me to fall sideways and glare up at her. It was the first time that I had looked her int he eyes since the day of Bridgette's funeral, and I saw the hurt that had been building up inside her, for god knows how long.

"Did you even hear what we said before, Georgia?" That was Louis's voice. A voice that I hadn't heard in so long, but I couldn't forget it any time soon. I shrugged in response and sat up, leaning against the wall. "We wanted to take you out for lunch," Daisy sniffed and we both turned to her. A tear slipped down her cheek and she buried her face in her hands.
She started shaking where she stood, from unshed tears of so long.

Then she fell to the floor, her eyes rolling in her head and her arms thrashing. Louis took a surprised step back and I stumbled off the bed, in a movement to that I wasn't used to anymore. My Mother came in and packed her to the wall with pillows surrounding her, while Louis called his parents, while I hid my face from the world, while Kirra slept in the room next door.

All of a sudden, though, her shaking subsided and she looked at us, her face blank.

...............

Her parents had house-bound her for the next few days, to watch her and make sure her seizure was a one-off.

When I went over there, which was the first time I had left the house in weeks, she insisted she was fine. "Really, Georgia, I just was sleep deprived and stressed. The doctors said it won't happen again if I lie low for a while and keep up the fluids." I nodded, in a mutual understanding of 'okay.' But I knew she was sugar-coating it

They always dumbed it down for me.

Always.

Everyone.

Please take a moment to vote or comment on the chapters you love!