Georgia's Mother

EDWARD:

"Then why are you here?" I asked her. "I feel like I'm losing myself." She whispered. "And I will not find you," I told her. "I will not go looking for you, ever. Why are you leaving?" "I'm leaving because you never asked me to stay."

"Wait- that's not what I- don't leave...!"

She was drowning, but nobody saw her struggle...

I did all I could, I gave her everything, but she had to go her way, and that way was not for me.

ELEVEN YEARS LATER

"...If you give up on me, I give up on me too. I spent eleven years telling myself that I was getting better but now I'm realising that I'm not better and I don't think I can handle this myself anymore. The demons are back, and they are stronger than ever. They are looking for a fight. Looking to win. And this time, I might just let them..."

I looked up from HER letter that the girl had given me. "What happened to your mother?"

"I miss my mum. She's gone. I loved her like there was no tomorrow. And then suddenly, there wasn't. Was that not enough?"

I looked at her, she looked at me. If what the letter said was true... Was this really my child? And now I had her daughter standing in front of me...

EDWARD:

The child seemed so lost with out Laura. Oh god. Laura, how I miss you. I miss you more with every passing day. To think that this child, THIS child, could really be the only thing left of you. Perhaps the child was. Perhaps you had answered my prayers at last! As I cast my thoughts further and further back, the young girl- Ashley, the letter had said- still stood stood at the front door, patently waiting for me to continue.

"She's been through hell and came out an angle. You didn't break her, darling. You don't own that kind of power."

The child nodded. "Then why did she go? We were fine for ages, and then... I lost her, or she lost herself. Something happened. Something that she didn't want me to know about. She wanted me to go to Edward... Raw... Rawson. She wanted me to go to Edward Rawson, I think. She said he could help me. Do you know who that is?"

"I should think so. Why don't you come in? What did she say about me?"

Ashley stayed still

"Ashley... you don't have to trust me, but your mother knew me, loved me and, quite frankly, child, I loved her. I love your mother, and I love you."

She gasped at me and took a step forward.

"You- you knew my mother?" She asked me, as if trying hard not to hope. I smiled at her. "Of course I did, child. She was my best friend, at a time... and then... and then she became something much more. She became something special to me. Something close to my heart."

"She was something close to my heart, too. She still is, I guess. But she's been gone for so long..."

I didn't need her to finish her sentence. Her mother had been gone for do long that the child was forgetting. But maybe that was best. She could start a new life here.

"Come inside, child. You must be freezing. And, I believe we have much to discuss. Care to join me for dinner?" I was not going to make that mistake twice. I told Laura that I would never find her. I told her to leave. I told her that in anger. I had been blinded by anger when she told me... I was not going to make the same mistake twice.

She giggled and followed me inside, where it was warm and dry. The weather outside fit my mood perfectly. Rainy and grey. But, i noticed the sun peaking out as i closed the door. I smiled. There was a sun around me as well. The child was the sun. She would dry up everything and make it all better. I believed that.