2

"You don't have to go, hija."

"It's okay, Mom."

"No, really. You could study here." Anacris Contreras paused to pass her husband a serving bowl. "Or you could apply to an American university. Right, Ramon?"

Ramon Contreras raised his brows at his daughter. "If that's what Malaya wants."

This is not the way Aya had envisioned things. Sunday lunch at their parents' home was supposed to be a happy time. And she had hoped her family would be happy that she had been awarded a full scholarship to study in Tokyo.

Well, they were.

But their happiness was overshadowed by concern. After all, Adrian—and his new girlfriend—were in Tokyo.

But it had been almost three months since she and Adrian had broken up. And Aya was more than ready to move on.

Or at least, that was what she told herself.

"This is an amazing opportunity." Aya's voice was firm as she argued her case. "I'd be crazy to give it up."

Am I convincing her parents or myself?

Putting up her own design firm had been Aya's dream since she had graduated from university. Working at a large architectural firm had taught her that if she wanted to make her mark, she needed an edge.

Tokyo could give her that edge.

Aya had always been fascinated by modern Japanese architecture. She liked the logic behind their illogical forms. She admired the design processes that had led up to them. And she wanted to learn from them.

So when Adrian had told her he was going to pursue graduate studies in engineering in Tokyo, she took it as a sign. She readied her own application and began taking Japanese language classes even before Adrian left Manila last year.

"But hija . . ." Deep concern was etched on her mother's face.

"Mom, I'll be fine." She gave her mother a reassuring smile. Turning to Kit, she lightly tugged at her earring, signaling a diversion. "Kit, have you told them about your news?"

Picking up her cue, Kit excitedly said, "Mommy, you will never believe it. Red Libiran wants to do a collaborative shirt project . . ."

As her mother's attention was successfully diverted, Aya breathed a sigh of relief. She was safe.

For now at least.

+ + +

"So are you going, Malaya?"

"Yes, Dad." Aya smiled. Ramon Contreras always made it a point to call his daughters by their full names.

"You know we're happy for you, right?" Ramon's scruffy sandal kicked against the metal support to keep the swing in motion. "Your Mom and I, we're just worried."

"I know you are, Dad." She snuggled into his comforting embrace.

They were sitting in their favorite spot, in the rickety old swing in the garden. Her mom and sisters were up in Yumi's bedroom, putting together outfits for a photo shoot.

"But you know," Ramon glanced at his daughter, "I'd be more worried if you were still together with Adrian. I'm glad you broke up with him, Malaya."

"But I thought you liked him."

"I didn't say I didn't like him, Malaya." Ramon chose his words carefully. "Adrian's a nice enough guy. And I'm sure he'll make some girl very happy someday."