3

He was gorgeous.

Aya didn't usually go for Asian guys. It was Kit who went gaga over Japanese and Korean dramas. But unschooled in the genre though she was, she knew that the guy who stood before her was a prime piece.

He towered over her, which was impressive, since she usually towered over people herself. His arms were crossed over his chest, stretching the t-shirt he wore. Huh. Hot guy obviously worked out. His hair was messily styled and his face was smooth and handsome.

And for some reason, he was pissed at her. A slight frown marred his handsome features.

She gave him the smile.

It was a smile that had been patented and passed down through generations of women in her family—the famous smile that brought out the legendary Sevilla dimples.

It was the smile that had made Anita Sevilla, Aya's grandmother, a legend in black and white pictures. It was the smile that had won Anacris Sevilla, Aya's mother, her crown back in the eighties. It was the smile that people said helped Mayumi Sevilla Contreras, bag the same crown five years ago. It was the smile that was a trademark of Marikit Sevilla Contreras' blog, cementing her rep as a fashion designer, blogger, and all-around trendsetter.

But perhaps, Aya was out of practice. Because when she smiled the smile, it had no effect whatsoever on the guy who stood in front of her.

Or maybe it was a cultural thing? She certainly hoped so. Her pride lay at her feet in shreds.

Aya was mentally reviewing her actions and speech for a cultural faux pas when he spoke.

"Osoi na. You're late. I was expecting you this morning."

She was hot.

It was her eyes that first caught his attention. Large and thickly lashed, they dominated her face. Her hair was caught up behind her, exposing her cheekbones and graceful neck. Though dressed simply in a sweater and jeans, she was a knockout.

And that smile. That smile ought to have a license.

If Ryo had a fan, he'd have put it to good use. Seriously. It had taken all of his dwindling willpower to keep his mouth clamped shut. He was afraid he might embarrass himself and start drooling.

Chikusho. She smelled like vanilla. He frowned as he tried to ignore the rumbling of his stomach.

Or maybe he was just delirious. Good-looking though she was, he had much bigger problems. He was starving.

He had been waiting for her since eight in the morning. He'd thought they'd get a head start on all the tasks she needed to complete before she could receive her allowance, which the college secretary had stressed was top priority. But apparently, pretty girl had taken her time. She had probably lolled about in bed the whole morning. It was now half past one and the banks closed at three. And they still had a ton of things to do before that.

Aya blanched. In his email, her professor, Ieda Toshiro, hadn't mentioned anything about a schedule. He just told her to have a safe flight and drop by the laboratory when it was convenient. Neither had Ieda-sensei put up a fuss when Aya finally met him a few minutes ago. He had, in fact, been very welcoming. He and Aya had chatted for a few minutes before he asked his secretary to bring Aya up to her tutor.

Aya hadn't even known she had a tutor. Kyoko Kitajima, her professor's secretary, briefly explained that tutors were guides assigned to new students to help them adjust to life in the lab. Kyoko had taken Aya up to the students' room and introduced her to her tutor, Ryohei Mori.

However, Aya thought that the guy who stood in front of her didn't look welcoming at all.

She decided to apologize. After all, her Japanese teacher in Manila emphasized the value of apologies in Japan. "Gomenasai. I didn't know I had to be here early . . ."

"We've a lot to do today. If we rush we might be able to make it to the bank before three." He glanced at a stack of paper on his desk and swore. "Damn. We have to go to city hall and the Faculty of Engineering office first. C'mon, let's go." Grabbing his jacket, he started toward the door.

Uh-oh. Aya suddenly had a bad feeling about this. "Uh Mori-san . . . I already opened a bank account."

He slowly turned back to look at her. "You have?"

Aya nodded. "Uh, my senpai took me this morning." Aya thought of Rachel, the sweet girl who had introduced herself as their senpai or senior when Aya and her batch mates had arrived at the dormitory last night. Rachel and the other Filipino senpais had prepared dinner and helped them get settled into their new home.

Rachel had also insisted on helping Aya and her batch mates, April and Reggie, complete their first-day errands. In fact, Rachel had been so efficient, they had been among the first in line at the ward office this morning.

"Then you've also registered your residence card at the ward office?" He leaned against a nearby bookshelf and folded his arms over his chest.

"Yes, I have." Aya nodded again. She was beginning to feel like a bobble head dog on a taxi dashboard.

"Ah, sou. What else have you done?"

Aya told him. After registering her residence card and applying for health insurance at the ward office, Rachel had brought them to the university. They opened accounts at a nearby bank, and then they visited the International Center to register for their Japanese classes. April and Reggie were in the beginner's class. Aya had been studying Nihongo for almost a year, so she had been placed in a more advanced class. After they took a quick break for lunch, Rachel took them to their respective department offices to complete the necessary paperwork. Finally, Rachel had helped them find their laboratories. She had even delivered Aya to Ieda-san's door barely fifteen minutes ago.

Privately amazed she had managed to say all that in Japanese, Aya stared at her tutor. Mori-san had remained silent throughout her slow recitation.

Ryo didn't know what to feel. Sure, he was glad that she'd saved him the trouble of having to help her with all that. But now, he now felt pretty useless. Here he was, ready to strut his stuff, but it seemed pretty girl didn't have much use for a tutor after all.

He knew it really wasn't her fault, but he was still hungry.

And therefore, grumpy.

Damn. He really should've made a quick run to the cafeteria for lunch. But as usual, he had lost track of time. Aside from waiting for Aya, he had also gotten caught up sketching conceptual studies for a project.

"Ah, sou. Well then, I'll just tour you around."

He still sounded pissed. Wary of annoying him further, Aya timidly followed him around the lab. He breezed through the formal meeting room, Ieda-sensei's office, and the research assistants' workspace. At the students' meeting room, he briefly explained that the row of computers were for communal use. Ascending the stairs, they went back up to the mezzanine, where large drafting tables and bookshelves had been set up in rows. He showed Aya her desk, which was right next to his. And when a boisterous group of students entered, he introduced them to Aya.

Greatly relieved that other students were friendly, Aya laughed at their jokes and answered their questions. While she was busy chatting, Ryo muttered excuses, grabbed his jacket, and left.

Aya turned to watch him go. That hadn't gone so well.