Chapter 17

[Chapter 17]

“You have to; you were the best at it.” Floyd says.

“Come on Reign, show Tex what you’ve got!” Drew adds.

“Fine, I’ll join.” I say as the pen rolls over the paper with ‘track team’ written on the top.

When we got to school this morning we had no idea that it was the time of year to sign up to whatever team or club you wanted to be in. I walked along not bothering to look at any of them, I didn’t have any will to join a team. However Drew and Floyd stopped me and convinced me to join the track team.

Apparently I was really good at it, we’ll just have to wait and see.

Just as we leave the booth someone calls my name and I turn to see a man in his late 40’s coming towards me. “Hi Reign, I’m Coach Mac.” He says, extending his hand towards me.

I take it in mine and shake it once before letting go. “I’m glad that you signed up, you were the best this team had in years.” He says, “I guess I’m just saying that I’m glad to have you back and if you’d like there’s a competition this weekend.”

He smiles and I smile back but I can tell that something pains him, we must have had a good relationship. “But I haven’t trained before.” At least not that I can remember.

“Then come to training tonight, straight after school.” He nods and moves off to another student before I can say anything else.

Floyd claps me on the back, “Told you that you were the best.”

I nod and roll my lips into my mouth. Now… for school.

~@~

The last bell of the day rings and I make my way towards the gym, my stomach tying knots inside me. Something about the thought of running has me anxious and slightly excited.

I’m the first one there so I walk into the changing rooms and slowly change out of my school uniform, just as I’m about to put my shirt back on someone swings me around and pins me to the wall. At first I see their brown eyes and panic, it’s my dad trying to get me.

Except when I focus on the rest of their face I realise that they’re too young to be who I first thought, however they do have the same brown eyes.

The way they roll down my body and bare chest sends shivers to my core.

“Well well, what do we have here?” Tex clicks his tongue, “You’re not planning on joining the track team now are you?”

“I already have.” I say defensively, “Now, get away from me.”

Tex laughs, “What’s that, I couldn’t hear you.” He leans closer and something has me freezing in place as things seem to rotate in my mind. Flashes of one night come to the surface.

Them running their hands down my body, the smell of dirt and rotten wood.

“It was you.” I say, pointing an accusing finger at him.

He raises an eyebrow, “What was me?”

“You, you were the one that beat me up that used me and beat me up!” I can’t control myself as I begin to yell. I don’t even bother trying to keep the fury from my voice.

He pins my body against the wall with his. “No one will believe you even if you told them.” He whispers sickly sweet in my ear. “And let me just say, you were one yummy boy.”

He winks at me and that’s all it takes before my fury reaches the roof. He senses it before he sees it and tries to move out of the way but it was coming too fast. My fist hits him square in the nose. There’s a loud crack that rings throughout the room as my fist connects with his nose.