CHAPTER TWO

Suffocating pain erupted my chest making me launch into an upright position. Water surged agonisingly to the top of my throat forcing me to hurl it out in a chain of painful coughs. I groaned involuntarily as my throat throbbed painfully, how was I alive? nobody else knew about this place and I doubted that that thing had a change of heart.

I looked across the clearing and wiped my glassy eyes, it was dark, how was that even possible? I tried to force myself to my feet but my legs didn't want to co-operate, I fell back towards the floor but was stopped by a pair of strong arms. I hesitantly looked around to see a pair of blazing blue eyes staring back at me.

I scrambled out of his grip in sudden panic and attempted to run, but a sharp pain radiated from my chest and spread over my whole body, I gasped in pain and tripped over my feet, landing hard on my side. The boy approached me slowly and picked me up gently in his arms leaving me no time to argue.

"W-who are you" I stuttered in half panic, half confusion.

His hard eyes softened for a second as he looked down at me.

"Don't worry, you are not going to remember any of this" he said softly.

"W-what do you mean by that?" I asked, suddenly feeling a strange wave of tiredness flow over me.

He looked straight ahead and said nothing more as he walked slowly across the clearing. I looked up at his thoughtful face and wondered how he found this place. I shrugged off my thoughts and relaxed into his contact, letting out a small yawn. I closed my eyes and immediately felt myself become wrapped in the comfortable blanket of sleep... 

The next morning I awoke with an unusually empty feeling, I tried to think back to yesterdays events but my memory was patchy. Wait no, that's right I went for a walk around the forest and then spent the rest of the day inside watching movies.

I got out of bed and walked into the bathroom. Strange, I was still in the same clothes as yesterday, I must have fallen asleep after the movie I guess. I quickly washed my face and brushed my teeth before I walked back into my room and over to my wardrobe, pulling out a pair of denim shorts and a plain black t-shirt. I quickly changed into them and ran a brush through my hair before running down to the kitchen.

"Hey mum" I greeted her turned back.

She turned to face me with an unamused expression on her face.

"What are you still doing here? you're going to be late for school" she said narrowing her eyes.

I looked at her blankly and she placed my phone down onto the table in front of me, I pressed the home button to see that she was right, I must have forgotten to set an alarm.

"Ok, ok I'm going," I said grabbing my phone.

I shoved the phone into my back pocket and pulled on my black and white vans before grabbing my jacket and heading out the door. I jogged down the pine-covered path that leads away from my house until it turned to concrete, I then walked down the street towards the school. 

On route, I reached into my jacket pocket and pulled out my earphones with a small sigh, grateful that I had remembered to bring them. I plugged them into my phone and turned the volume up just over halfway for the remaining journey into school.

I walked briskly through the schools huge, black metallic gates that had the words Autumncrest high running along them in large silver letters, marking the entrance to the school.

"Adira!" the voice of my best friend Lexi bellowed from across the school grounds.

I looked up just in time to see a flash of brown before I was engulfed in a bone-crushing hug.