4: Texting Rinai

Several times Afira started to type a message to Rinai throughout the afternoon. He was never happy with what he said and would erase it though. Finally, he forced himself to just send the text as he lays on his bed.

[Hey Rinai, I've been wondering something.]

[Hi Afira! What have you been wondering?]

[Why are the AI in Dawn of Reason weird?]

[Are you sure it's us AI who are the weird ones? To me, you seem pretty unusual.]

[What? How so?]

[Think about how you treat NPCs vs how other players do.]

[I act the same as I always do though.]

[The same as you do in the outside world? Yeah, that's a big difference. Most players act like we are air, mobs, resource vending machines, or worse...ヽ(o'皿′o)ノ]

[...that really sucks.] Afira frowned, feeling annoyed at other people for being rude.

[So why do you treat me so well? Not just me either. Every NPC you meet.]

[I never thought about it. I just ...do that...it's what seems right and natural. Should I stop?]

[No. It's perfect Afira. Please keep treating me well. You make me very happy. (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧]

Afira's face is burning as he rolled back and forth on the bed. After a few minutes to calm down a bit, he starts a new question.

[What does the title I have mean? 'Hero of the Outside World.' I didn't do anything heroic.]

[Hero of the outside world is a title you received due to your interactions with NPCs. So you automatically are recognized by any NPC and have a higher starting relationship than other players.]   

[So you liked me before you even knew me?] He texts innocently, then realizes the 'like' could be meant in different ways. Omigosh I should clarify, he nervously starts rushing a text to explain. Before he can finish he receives Rinai's answer.

[Yes. Now that I know you I like you more. A lot more. You're just so cute! ★~(◡﹏⊙✿)]

Afira dropped the phone on his face. "owwww." 

He took a second look at the text from Rinai. "Yeah, he really called me cute again...what's that mean? What should I say? Does he like me like me? Are we just friends? Can he like me that way? He seems to be able to do anything I could do. Arrgh I don't know. I'm taking to long to respond now, aren't I? Calm down, relax, be cool, its just a casual comment don't freak out. I've only hung out with him one day. I'm sure it's just in a friendly way."

Just as he was getting himself psyched to respond, his phone chimed. 

[I'll see you tomorrow at the market. Ok? We can update Tilly on our plans and then head out to practice on the wolves.] Rinai texted after Afira hadn't responded for a long time.

"Ohhh no! I took to long. Maybe he feels bad now. I'm such a dummy. Or it was never as big a deal as I made it out to be? Why am I so freaked out anyway? Has it really been so long since I flirted with anyone that I'm this crazy after one day?"

[Yes! Meeting at the market is a good idea. See you tomorrow Rinai. Goodnight.]

[See you Afira! Sleep well. ( ̄。 ̄)~zzz]

Afira just lay there staring at the text conversation for the next 20 minutes. He just couldn't stop analyzing every little thing. Eventually, he was all worked up and anxious.

Afira feels loneliness crashing over him after being so happy texting with an NPC. The sudden realization of having no real friends in his life outside the game causes him to feel like a loser. 

His reason for playing the game was to meet people. But people in game ditch him fast. 

"They can all tell I'm lame. Only NPCs are friendly and patient." He sniffled to himself. He feels hot tears flood his eyes, stinging from the bitterness.

Since his emotions are unstable he spends the night tossing and turning. He can't stop overthinking how his life is versus how it 'should' be. He doesn't text Rinai, though he almost does. Typing a few lines then deleting. Pouring out his confusion and sadness, then feeling dumb about telling anyone. In the end, he never sent any more texts to Rinai that night.

Is it really unreasonable to think of them as real? He thinks about Erica who loves small colorful stones. Gramma Nina who dotes on her grandchildren and on Afira every chance she gets and is a hacker in her spare time. Mayor Ray, always willing to answer his questions with a friendly smile. The goats, he chuckles, those rascals with the puns that make me groan but secretly smile. Tilly who is afraid. That has to be real, not some algorithm. And Rinai says I make him happy.

He buries his face in his pillow. "I don't know, I don't know, I don't know." He yells into his pillow.

Rinai that thinks texting would be fun. Rinai that can choose his own equipment and forgave me for calling him a girl. Who is super sexy and makes my heart race. 

What is happening to me? Is his last thought before finally falling asleep