7: Defending the Stall

A/N The market and Nina's herb stall on the end but it would be loaded with herbs all around

A/N The market and Nina's herb stall on the end but it would be loaded with herbs all around. Image not mine, credit to the owner.

I was ready for the event to start. I couldn't stop fidgeting, I would be pacing but then I might miss the exact second I could log on. Finally, the login screen countdown showed the last thirty seconds. The instant it hit zero, I was in.

I had logged out in Tilley's stall, Rinai and Tilly would be there when I logged on so we would be together from the start of the event.  I heard yelling and cursing which surprised me. My guard went up, ready for an attack.

Rinai had said it was no problem changing his character design. Apparently, there was a bit of a problem after all since the weekly update caused his original clothes to reset. He was currently stripping them off while cursing with great annoyance.

I felt my blush as the heat spread across my face at the sight of Rinai taking his clothes off. I quickly turned to face a wall, "Will we need to repurchase your gear?"

"No, luckily it's stored in my inventory. It's just a bother to have to change. Looks like this will happen every update. I'm glad I don't have to put much back on at least. Maybe I should wear even less?"

"How much less could you get!?" I turned back towards Rinai to see the other man smirking at me.  He's teasing me again. At that moment I remembered it isn't necessary to physically dress and undress. Equipment can be instantly switched. He truly did it just to mess with me. 

"You-you did that on purpose! Why? " I was as baffled as I was embarrassed.

He looked at me with that sexy smirk, "It's cute how flustered you get."

I stormed out to the main stall area and opened my inventory to switch my own equipment.

~~~

I have no specialization of weapon class. Since I've been given so many items I don't want to disappoint the NPC's that gifted them so I use each weapon and armor some and rotate through them as I train and do quests.

This has resulted in a wildly mismatched armor set. Each piece gifted by a different NPC had amazing specs but each NPC has different aesthetics. Now the NPCs just find it endearing that I still wear it all even though it's embarrassing.

I hadn't put it all on yet in front of Tilly and Rinai. Other players have always teased me so I've become shy about it. I take a deep breath and get on with it. 

Tilly reacted much like the NPCs in the starter village, with glittering eyes and a wide smiling face. She rushed over closely examining the pieces.

"This is great Afira, I never expected to see my work on a player." 

"Your work? You make armor, Tilly?" I was stunned.

"That's right. Blacksmithing is my hobby, but I've only made pieces on consignment for other NPCs."

That actually totally fits her. Way more than a simple herb stall worker. It's nice to know she can choose a hobby for herself.

 "All this came as gifts and rewards from NPCs." I said.

"So that's how you ended up with them. I always hoped to get good enough to sell armor in a shop. It's even better to see my work on a friend." Tilly looked adorable, her eyes shining and crinkled from her huge smile.

"It's not just good, Tilly this armor is all amazing quality. The durability is high, the stats are great and the buffs are well balanced and practical. This is my ass-kicking gear and has kept me safe soloing multiple quests. You did a fantastic job, Tilly." 

Tilly has tears glittering in her eyes now and looked shy at the praise. 

Now that I knew Tilly had made the armor I was determined to stop feeling shy about my mismatched armor and wear it proudly.

Rinai had finally finished messing around with his armor. I quickly looked him over to see if he really had less somehow. I felt relief to see he had the same as before the update. That set had been hard enough to get used to. Something new and even more revealing would be too much.

Rinai and I step out of the stall and take positions on either side. 

There are only a few mobs coming through for quite a while so we easily clear them. Gradually the numbers of attacking mobs increase. They begin attacking in packs and they are using strategy in the battles.

Before we noticed, Rinai and I have been separated to opposite ends of the market. Suddenly a large number of wolves flood around us.

I see Rinai surrounded by a pack, for a moment he breaks free. I've broken away myself and head in his direction. I gasp as he's hit in the leg, stumbles, gets a hard hit to his back. I see blood and I'm running in what feels like slow motion. Yet somehow I'm there in an instant knocking the nearest wolf aside with my hammer. I got another on the backswing. The wolves had encircled him again and I can't see Rinai. I release an AOE attack, momentarily stunning the wolves. I see him then, he's torn and bleeding. 

I dive for him hearing him grunt. There isn't time to be careful, I only have a moment while the mobs are stunned when I can use a travel token. As soon as they are aggro again I won't be able to escape the fight. We are immediately spawned to the room in the stall.

A/N Sorry this update took like a month, I just couldn't decide where to end it and how it should go exactly. I'm finally happy with it. I have the next chapter over halfway done so I promise it won't take another month. Just need a few more cute scenes for my adorable guys.  (◕‿-)