True Love's First Kiss

Out of the corner of her eye, Maleficent watched Diaval twirling around in a sea of pastel blues and greens. The hem of Diaval's long gown fanned before the girl like the feathers of an exotic bird.

"I may become ill if you keep doing that," Maleficent said dryly. Both faeries were dressed in soft, delicate hues. Maleficence's cat-like eyes shifted back to her mirror and she scowled. She detested the gown she had on, a long, flowey thing that shimmered like pink gossamer, like those horrid butterfly things she'd once heard about.

"Isn't this how Ladies dance?" Diaval giggled but stopped her twirling. She fell to the floor with a chuckle, her full skirt fanning before her beautifully.

"I do not know how they can wear such clothing." Maleficent looked over to where the girls' dark clothing hung. Long hems ended in rich points and touched the floor. Sleeves as black as night. Material that did not shimmer or itch or squeeze you free of breath.

"It's only for a few hours. How else would we be able to slip into the castle?" Diaval reached up and touched her hair. The once ebony locks were kissed by magic, turning them into a fair golden blonde.

Maleficent watched herself through the looking glass. Mirror, mirror on the wall –

"How else could we kill the Prince?"

I'm the fairest of them all.

Maleficent did not answer her cherished friend.

Skin as white as snow. Lips as red as wine. Hair as sterling as silver.

Shimmering mites swirled around Maleficent, crackling with tiny flashes of light as her magic transformed her skin whiter, her lips redder, her midnight hair into spun silver. When the magic settled, Maleficent reached onto her vanity table, took a golden tiara and placed it upon her head.

"Do we look like fine Ladies now, Dia?"

Diaval clapped her hands and let out a mighty whoop of delight. "If those so-called Lords and Kings do not fall at our feet tonight, then I'm a crow." The girl rose and with a flourish curtsied before her friend.

"You'd make a fine crow, Dia." Maleficent rose, slipped her arm through her friend's and hurried out the door.

The Wyrm Woods had always been home to the Dark Faeries. With its protective wall of Herculean trees sprouting thick from the stony ground, it boasted an air of darkness. Tall branches created a leafy umbrella over the whole of the Woods, keeping the sun's bright light from touching the ground below. The Dark Faeries preferred to roam during the nighttime when the moon hung like a pearl in the sky. The sun was always too hot, too bright, too happy for any of the faeries to enjoy. The woodland creatures living in the Wyrm Woods were scarce. Large bat with leathery wings rested in the hollows of caves. Slippery snakes roamed over the cracked ground. Sly foxes with pointy ears darted from behind the trees hunting for a vast variety of rodents. Maleficent and Diaval had never seen a fawn. They had never heard the cooing of a dove or the howling of a wolf calling to its pack. Neither Dark Fae had ever felt the soft fur of a cat, had never seen the majesty of a horse. All these creatures belonged outside their woods to the silly humans that cared for animals that did not snarl or hiss.

The pair exited the woods. They stood on the edge looking at the vast land of the Kingdom before them. Grass as green as emerald greeted them. There were no trees to hide out the sky. Beneath their feet, tiny flowers in orange and blue bowed their heads as they slept. It would take the faeries hours to walk to the castle were they mere mortals. The two fae, still young in age, had yet to acquire all the magic and power a Dark Faerie ought to have. Waiting for them at the edge of the woods was Great Aunt, Mab, to assist them in their journey.