Chapter 15 - Chocolate Umbrella

Chapter 15

Candy was watching her favourite cartoon, Dora the Explorer, in the playroom while Lily was so focused on playing with the Little People play set on the floor. Being an almost eleven-month-old baby, she could now played by herself more often. Thank God that they were so pacified by these things. If they were to fuss for whatever reasons, Alena really couldn't handle it anymore. Or maybe, their fussing could be the perfect excuse to stop this annoyance?

Alena needed to get herself occupied or she would soon say something that she would regret later. She was in the kitchen, facing the sink. She reached to the cabinet for a coffee mug. She turned on the coffee grinder and grinded the beans. She already had some grinded coffee in the fridge, but in reality, she now needed to noise to grant her a moment of serenity.

"Are you listening?" Said a voice which she barely heard.

Finally, the grinder stopped.

"Are you listening?" Alena's mother, Helen, asked again impatiently while pacing back and forth inside the kitchen.

"Yes, mom. I am listening." Alena did not turn around, but continued to pour water into the coffee maker. She then dumped the grinded coffee into the filter and pressed the brew button. The bubbling sound of the boiling water was what she focused on.

"Tell me what I should do?" Helen sighed loudly. "I really don't know what she is thinking. She has never managed a business, let alone started one. I really don't understand why she wastes her entire retirement saving in a coffee shop!" This time, she sighed angrily. She took a seat nearby the breakfast table.

"Just let her be, mom. It really isn't your business anyway. She is a sixty year old woman and you are only her friend. She doesn't need your permission to spend her money." Alena poured the coffee into the mug and put two spoonful of sugar in it. She stirred the coffee gently while putting some coffee cream into the mug.

"But that's a stupid thing to do. I have to stop her from making this big mistake!"

Helen was greatly disturbed by the news that her best friend was about to start a new business with her retirement money. For the last few days, she already called Alena several times, just to rant about the news. Alena tried so many times to calm her down without success. Today, Helen decided to come over to Alena's house, and continued her rant.

"Alena, she is not young. She is a sixty year old woman and she cannot afford to fail with the business at all. She is a widow and has no children. If she fails, she will have no one to support her. Just imagine if that happens, what is she going to do?" Helen continued.

"I don't know what she's going to do. All I am saying is that she doesn't need your permission to do anything. She is responsible for her own decision. So just let her be." Alena sat down beside Helen and took a big gulp of coffee.

"Just let her be? Even if I know she is about to ruin the rest of her life? But I am her best friend!" Helen sighed again.

"Alright, just do whatever you feel right if that makes you happier." Alena gave up and finished up her coffee. She could never convince her mom with reasons. She might as well let go.

"Can you come with me and convince her then? You worked with so many businesses before. She will listen to you." Helen suddenly beamed at Alena.

"What? No! I am not going with you! I won't meddle with her business. She is an elder, mom." Alena protested.

"But you will be very convincing." Helen pleaded.

Alena almost laughed out loud. Convincing? She couldn't even convince Helen to drop the issue!