Chapter 2: In Which Will Meets a Fallen Angel

Warm orange peeked over the horizon of lake Vernon outlining the clouds in iridescence, dappling the stone outcropping and kissing the sparkling water in front of which Will's grandfather sat cross-legged, pale back and crack exposed to the elements. Under other circumstances, Will might have paused to admire the beauty of the sunrise over the cottage country he called home. As it was, anyone that happened to be up at dawn would be too preoccupied with the scene his grandfather was making to look at the sky.

Their small cabin lay on modest waterfront property at the top of a grassy hill speckled with fir trees. The steep verdant incline ended in pine needles and gray rock that lead to a dock forged by nature's own masons. The lake spread out in front reaching to the horizon, but to the right lay an island with a few summertime cabins and to either side of their place were two neighboring palatial houses, separated by lines of sparse trees. 

Upon the rock protrusion lay an intricate spiral labyrinth of white scribbles drawn in chalk, frogs and toads placed in open spaces like they were players in a game of hopscotch. And at the epicentre was Will's grandfather: butt-naked and chant-singing.

Laina and Will had stumbled out of the cottage, still groggy. It was too god-damned early for this but Will had still remembered to pull his comforter off his bed. He wrapped it in a ball, stuffed it under one arm and let his long legs propel him in a controlled sprint down the slope as he left Laina in his wake.

"Please, Grandpa. Stop!" Laina called out behind him, her voice interlacing with the soft wind and lapping water. Their grandfather's head swivelled to look up at them and Will was close enough to read the expression of guilt on his white-bearded face.

"Oh, no. I was hoping not to wake you," said their grandfather, who then chuckled, as if this were any old inconvenience. "Well... this is awkward. It's not what it looks like?" He held his hands out to his side quizzically and shrugged thin shoulders. He placed his hands back on the rock as if to get up.

"Wait! Please Gramps," Will said, holding the blanket up as a reminder of his state of undress.

"Oh right." He looked himself up and down and laughed outright this time as if he might diffuse the situation with his easy demeanor.

Will slowed when he reached the stone. He carefully picked his path through wayward amphibians trying not to step on any as he made his way to his grandfather. Will placed the comforter around his grandfather's shoulders and helped him up.

Laina had caught up by now and was standing in front of both of them, arms crossed, stern cut to her mouth, hair shining like burnished gold. They all stood on the jetty in silence for a long moment, both tall men towering over the young woman, all lost in thought. And then, "We need to talk," came out, all at once, in unison. Two voices held gravitas, one sounded almost cheery.

Will's grandfather cleared his throat. "Just let me get my say in first. We don't have much time now. And there's a lot I have to tell you before—" their grandfather began.

Just then the clouds opened up and a blinding light streamed through, silhouetting a flying figure, unmistakably female with long hair and wings stretching across the morning sky.

"—she gets here," he finished.

But she was clearly already there. In front of Will landed the most beautiful woman...angel?... he had ever seen.

***

Who is this winged woman from the skies? Is she an angel or something else altogether? If you want to know the answer, please vote! Thank you.