Chapter 16: In Which Sky Introduces the Aary Twins to New Friends

Sky had let Jimmy go hunting. He was somewhere, in the gloaming, looking for game as the sun went down. They'd rest now and make their way in the early hours of the morning, when it was pitch dark and safest to fly across the coast of the Epicurean stronghold.

Meanwhile, Will was staring at Sky admiringly, while he nibbled on a sandwich that Ollie had packed for him. They were in the abandoned Aary castle in the king's old chambers – Laina had talked a lot about the building when they'd first arrived, clearly awed by the structure, but now she was slumbering soundly in a royal four-poster bed. Will was sitting on the marble floor across from the bench Sky was perched upon. The room was still fully encased in the mountain instead of exposed to the open air – the face of much of the castle had been blown off in battle during the Epicurean assault. Here, they were insulated from any roaming soldiers who may have been stationed near the ruins. Sky's quick assessment had shown no immediate threats nearby.

Will was smiling at Sky. It looked like the wheels in his head were turning as he munched. It was exceptionally sunny, and though he'd applied the suntan lotion from his pack that Ollie had insisted they bring, he had gotten a touch of sun across his cheeks and nose. Late summer in Htrae was unbearably hot, just as it had been back on Earth.

"Do you mind?" Will asked, lifting the bottom of his t-shirt to signify that he'd prefer to have it off.

"No," Sky said. "That's fine."

He got up and pulled his shirt over his head, displaying a tanned and toned torso. He was tall and lean, but strong. Good, Sky thought. He would be a warrior. Sturdy. A fighter. Certainly an asset. Sky averted her assessing gaze, realizing that she'd been starring. But it had been more than just a cursory evaluation if she was being honest with herself, and her reaction surprised her. She felt the tug of attraction, not only to those deep familiar eyes, but to his handsome and novel physique. A longing, an excitement for a pleasure she had not indulged in for a very long time, made her ache. And there was guilt too, that a body that was not his could inspire such voracious lust in her. She was mad at her own body for betraying her with such base urges. Damn Will! It might have to be my new moto, she decided. Yes, damn Will indeed.

He sauntered over and sat beside her, straddling the bench facing her, a confident grin on his face. Will was often awkward, but not totally unaware, then, of the fact that he was in good shape and had affected her in some way. He seemed to be trying to gather the courage to say something.

"So ... I mean," Will cleared his throat. "I don't really know how these things work for demi-god valkyries, but do you ... uhhh... have uhhh ... a husband or wife or are you soul-bonded or...?" He rambled on in one quick breath, "Do you date?"

Sky looked at Will in utter surprise, not having expected such a direct, brazen, and hilarious conversation so soon. The world was ending and Will wanted to know if she was available to 'date.' Sky threw her head back and laughed, a hearty laugh that echoed through the cavernous room. It was a wave of true emotion and she was swept up in the humour of the moment for the first time in a long time. And then Will joined her, realizing how absurd it all was, and their laughter intermingled and echoed in the great chamber, a cacophony of frivolity that swept them both away.

For a moment, all Sky's responsibilities were forgotten, all the hard things she had to grapple with. She looked at Will's twinkling eyes and the universe receded into the background. She remembered how it could be. How she could feel. In her dreams, she was only a girl, he was only a boy, and they were free. But Sky wasn't only a girl.

"Can I just say," Will said, "you are absolutely stunning when you laugh. Even more so than normal. And that's saying something because you're always exceptionally beautiful. But you usually look so sad." His hand came up and brushed a loose wave of dark hair back off her face, as his thumb grazed her cheek. "I just ... I really want to be the reason, the person, who makes you laugh like that all the time."