Chapter 41

Chapter 41

Jared waited in the middle of the crowd as they lifted the first woman from the broken window.  He didn't recognize the burned woman, who had one hand wrapped in a large bandage, nor did he recognize the woman in the pajamas.  She had been checking over people in the crowd, a man behind her carrying an orange medical kit.  He assumed she was a medic who lived in the building or nearby.

But he did recognize the men at the window.  The largest, a black man, was Lieutenant Hayes from Homicide.  Beside him on the ground was Detective Meyers, who was also homicide and was assigned to the arson task force.  The third detective was inside, Mickelson.  The file on him had been thinner.  He was assigned to homicide as well, but Jared's people had found little information on him or his active cases.  All that mattered was that he had been snooping around this building, where Harold had lived.

Mickelson lowered a woman onto the ladder as Hayes carried the injured red head to safety.  She moved differently.  Her hands reached out into the air and latched onto Meyers, searched up his arm to his shoulder.  She was blind.  That was Jessica Moore, the one Harold wanted.

With that many police at the scene, she had to have said something to Mickelson.  Was there something about Harold that she knew?  Harold wanted her for a pet, but Jared would find out what she had said first.

He looked inside the building.  There was another man still inside.  Jared moved to the side through the crowd to see better into the dark, smoke-filled apartment.

It was him.  The killer.

Jared felt his muscles tighten and he stepped forward before he could stop himself, regain some control.  He couldn't do anything with this many police around.

Then the man who had murdered his friends and soldiers disappeared into the room and Jared saw flames deeper inside.  Why had the man gone back into the fire?  Did they know about Harold?  Was Harold the next to be killed?

Jared pulled the phone from his pocket and rang Martins.  Again, there was no answer.  He had tried to reach his lieutenant half an hour ago to make sure they were done getting Harold's things.  He had begun to worry right away.  Martins always picked up or called back within minutes.  Had the police been waiting?  Had they taken Martins and had Harold started the fire in self-defense?  There were too many questions for Jared to jump into the situation without finding out more.

He turned as Hayes laid the injured woman down at the far end of the crowd.  The man with the orange bag hurried over and the pajama wearing medic began to examine her.

He smiled to himself.  He knew who they were, had studied all of the police in the city, had recruited some of them to the cause.  But none of them knew who he was.  It was the perfect cover.    In the middle of the street, Mickelson led Jessica and Meyers almost straight to Jared.  He stepped out toward them. 

"I'm a doctor.  I can help," Jared said.  He laid a hand on Jessica's shoulder and guided her toward the sidewalk.  She started a deep breath and coughed it out immediately.  "Smoke inhalation.  We need to get her away from here."  He pulled her back and the crowd parted for them.  Mickelson stayed by her side, but his eyes were back on the apartment building.

"The air is better back here."  Jared led them further away.  He was armed, but knew he wouldn't have time to get away if he shot the detectives.  Maybe, if he was able to get them several blocks away, the confusion from the fire would make it possible, but it was smarter just to play this new role for now.

"Mickelson!  Meyers!"  The voice was deep, sounded angry.  Jared figured it must be Hayes.  He watched the detective look back at Meyers, who waved for Jessica's protector to join them.  Jared guided her to sit against a parked car and put two fingers to her throat.  Her pulse was fast.  "I've got her," he said.

"I need to stay with her."  Mickelson clutched at her hand and Jared laid a hand on each of their wrists, as comforting as he could be.

"I'll stay with her until we can get her some oxygen.  She's going to be fine."  Jared waited.  The detective looked back again, then turned to Jessica.

"I'll be right back.  Okay?"  Mickelson asked her.

"Okay."  She squeezed Mickelson's hand and Jared waited for them both to let go before he pulled his hands back.  There was something between them.  That was easy to see.  It was unfortunate news.  There was no possibility that a woman like this would be interested in Harold, and when Harold really learned that, he would be even harder to control.  If only the little man could be tempted by prostitutes he would be an invaluable tool.  Jared could easily find women to satisfy an important soldier's needs.  And he'd be sure that they wouldn't talk to the district attorney the way Nadine had.

Instead, he'd have to break this woman.  He'd have to make her so afraid and so filled with pain that going to Harold would be a comfort.  It was the only way she'd be with the little man.

He watched the detectives hurry back the way they had come.  Jared laid a hand on Jessica's shoulder.  "Come.  Let's get you further away from the smoke." 

*

(Author’s note: Uh oh.  Did someone just get kidnapped?  By the really, really bad guy?  And where is William?  There’s only one way to find out…check out the next chapter!  Thank you all for the votes and notes!  Please tell your friends about Schism!!  Talk to you soon!)