Chapter Twenty One

Questions

    The last thing I remember about the ride to this place was the men in the back with me letting down a covering on the back of the truck, probably to keep me from seeing were we were. Not that I would have cared. I probably fell asleep after that, because after I closed my eyes I opened them and I was sitting at a table in a mostly empty room. There was a lamp hanging from the ceiling, it looked like what I figured an interrogation room would look like. Though I had never been in one before.

    I looked down at my leg. It was wrapped up nicely but it felt worse than ever, it was probably getting infected. Not that it mattered. I knew that wherever I was they would most likely not waste many medical supplies on me. Even though they probably cleared our ship of all our supplies.

    I was so ready for it all to end. I didn't care if I died or not. My whole body hurt, I knew that every one of my friends was in the same life or death situation that I was, and that there was no way out of it. I closed my eyes and tried to remove my parents faces. I tried to conjure up an image of my mother hugging me so that I might receive a little comfort. I tried to convince myself that my dad was here to protect me. And I thought of little Ella. I missed her so much, I couldn't describe how badly I wanted to hug her again, but I knew I couldn't.

    Every time I tried to think a happy thought, my mind was bombarded with images of Brealyn standing over me with her cruel smirk, and of Aiva falling to the ground after being impaled by the most horrifying weapon I'd ever seen. What will Micah think when he wakes up wherever he is and sees that his sister isn't with him. And when he realizes that she never will be again. He didn't even get to say goodbye to her.

    The light above me flickers. I look at it and notice an insect buzzing around it. It runs into the light a couple times. Stupid bug.

    I looked down at my bound hands. They're covered with dirt and my nails are all broken. I wished that I was back on New Eden where I actually cared about what my hands looked like. I wished that I had the luxury to care about that again.

    I heard a clicking noise and the door opened. In walked a man wearing a similar outfit to the one the people that raided our camp wore, the black clothes with red strips banding around the right arm. "Olivia Blaire?" He asked without looking up from his notebook.

I just looked at him. I remembered telling Brealyn, or Karli as I thought at the time, what my last name was. I felt angry thinking about it, when I trusted her without even knowing her. How stupid I was.

"Olivia Blaire?" He repeated with an irritated tone.

I cleared my throat and whispered, "yes."

He nodded and made his way toward the table I was sitting at. The door closing behind him with a loud click, probably the lock. The man sat down and continued to write something down in his book.

His hair was short and well kept. He had a hint of facial hair but it was mostly scruff. Appearances are probably strict around here.

"I understand that you were the renowned leader of the so called 'Carriers.'"

"I um. . I guess so."

He raised his eyebrows. "And who gave you that title."

I was hesitant to talk. I didn't really feel like telling anything to these people, so I stayed silent.

He glared at me. "The longer you take to answer my questions the longer I have to sit here and believe me neither of us want that."

I took a deep breath. I was trying to resist getting angry because I knew it was no use. "It. . Doctor Kasters. On New Eden. She told Matt and I that-"