XXI

2004, Fourteen Years Backwards

"Honey, I'm home."

Anaya grinned as Matt walked down the hallway. They'd been playing house for a year, and it was still nice. Since finishing his degree, Matt's placements and the part-time job with her dad brought in enough money to still help his mom at home and get a little space of their own.

She navigated around the counter of the open kitchen. Just large enough to do dishes for two. Any more suds and they'd probably cause the pipes to clog. They had one indigo love seat and a chestnut four-seater dining set. Matt had wisely gone against a coffee table. If that had filled the space between the couch and the TV stand, Anaya dreaded to think how they'd maneuver through. The apartment was small by all counts, but it was theirs.

"Dinner is served."

"What, now? Here on the dining table, with all this food on it? Okay..." He grabbed her.

"I'm dessert." She pulled away, hesitant, and almost changed her mind.

"Yes, ma'am." He raised his hands in mock surrender and took a seat.

She'd done well to order their favorite – dim sum from Bamboo Shoot. They gobbled the shrimp dumplings. From the first time they'd seen the sheer size of the meat through the translucent wrapper, they'd taken vows to be regulars. The pork siu mai was the next to be devoured. They savored in silence, except for the slurping of the stir-fried clams in black-bean sauce.

"How was class, babe?"

JBU had approached Matt with a permanent job to research and integrate Engineering into elementary teaching. For the first time ever, she'd seen tears in his eyes. He couldn't have dreamed up a better job for himself. Changing careers was a huge gamble, but in his typical fashion he'd refused to accept anything less than what would make him happy.

"I attended one of the classes piloted at Middle Crest today. It was unbelievable, hon. Children are such natural engineers, so all we have to do is not stifle their curiosity." His eyes shone with wonder.

"That's awesome that it's going so well." Her happiness for him was sincere. She just couldn't wait for her final year to be over so she could start reaping the rewards, too.

Matt must have heard it in her voice. Putting down his knife, he squeezed her hand. "The last leg's the hardest. It feels like it's never going to end, doesn't it? But if I can be any example at all, take one look at me and know that this phase will be over soon."

Hi there!Thank you for being here! Are you liking this chapter so far? Did you see any missed opportunities you think I should work on? Please don't forget to let me know what you think in a short comment below

Hi there!
Thank you for being here!
Are you liking this chapter so far? Did you see any missed opportunities you think I should work on?
Please don't forget to let me know what you think in a short comment below.
Thanks so much,
G.