Chapter 12 - Good Riddance

Evita

Later that afternoon I sit between two bookshelves on the floor of the library, watching Brandt through the empty spaces between the books. He's slumped against the wall and takes a swig from the bottle at his waist. As I watch pain twists in my stomach and I clench my teeth. I've been having cramps on and off since the procedure yesterday. Just one more reminder that I need to leave.

Leah, who's sitting across the room playing cards with a group of friends, gets up and flounces towards Brandt. She grins and bats her eyelashes, tilting her head up toward him. "Could I have a sip?" she says, running her finger down his arm. She hardly looks heartbroken over Trenton.

A small smile plays over his lips and he raises the bottle to her. She takes a swig and giggles before going back to her friends. How can she act so friendly with someone who's helping hold her prisoner? He watches her walk away.

I groan and look away from them to see Dale entering the room. He spots me through the books and hesitates before coming over. We've had a tentative friendship since I stopped Brandt from tormenting Nadya, but so far that's only extended to our interactions in the Solar Room. I've kind of brushed it off. I don't need to make friends here. I'll be gone soon anyway.

"Hey," he says, sitting on the floor beside me.

"Hi." I wrap my arms around my stomach, hugging tightly.

We sit in silence for a minute, then he shrugs and stands. He's about to join Leah and her friends when another painful cramp hits me and I let out a small cry, clutching my abdomen.

He looks alarmed. "Are you okay?"

I let go, though the sudden release of pressure makes me wince, and fiddle with the hem of my t-shirt. "Yeah, fine. It's no big deal."

Understanding dawns on his face. "That's right, you've been here about two weeks now. You got the procedure?" The muscles in his face tense. "I'm sorry, that sucks."

"It doesn't matter." I feel the resolve flare in my gut. "They're not going to do it again."

He frowns. "What do you mean?"

I hesitate. Should I tell him? Would he care if he woke up tomorrow and I was just gone? A small part of me wants to know.

"I'm leaving." My voice is so quiet I wonder if he can hear me.

Apparently he can, because he laughs. "Are you? And how do you plan on that?"

I scoff. "I'm serious."

He studies my face, but I hold my expression steady. After a minute his jaw sets. "Well that's great for you then, Evita." He exhales sharply, shaking his head.

"Why are you upset?" I crinkle my forehead.

His eyes blaze. "Have you thought about what you leaving means for the rest of us?"

I hadn't really. I bite my lip. "Once I'm out I can tell somebody what's going on in here."

"That's what Trenton said, and look what happened to him." The words hang between us. Doesn't he understand? It doesn't have to be the same. I could change things. We could change things.

"Then come with me. Bring Nadya." The words burst from my mouth before I can stop them. I instantly regret it.

"No." Dale looks at me like I've just sprouted another head. "That's suicide. "

My cheeks burn. "Fine." I stand, keeping my voice low. "You know, you put on such a brave act, fighting with the guards over a scrap of bread, but where are you when it really counts?" I shake my head. "I'm leaving tonight, after lights out." I turn and walk from the room, my shoulders square and my footsteps even.