Chapter 40

A/N

And... we're back to our favorite Witch. These next few chapters are going to be whirlpool and left behind plots from Book 1 will be rediscovered once more.

Keep up and tell me how you feel thus far, this is all very upsetting Ik.

But hopefully you can understand all this from Lorelie's point of view.

~~@ @ @~~

We must have driven to a stop.

I wasn't entirely sure.

Everything was fuzzy given how my head was screaming its protest and the veins all over my body were slowly coming back alive. 

What a waste of serum. Well, constant trauma would make any ailment useless.

Speaking of useless--that was me right now. 

Every time I would try to relax, my body would twitch. Flicker. Move. As though I could somehow still feel the ghost of electricity running rampant through my body even if it was all in my mind.

So I've resolved into laying still, not moving, or even bothering to pick myself off the floor. I should try at least, but I'm just so tired. 

Every molecule of my body is covered in bruises and cuts. They show no sign of healing. 

As if I needed any more scars. 

"Eins nach dem anderen!"

One at a time!

My ears twitch from their position on the cold hard floor of the van. A guard was shouting from outside the armored vehicle.

Where are we?

Drowsily, I raise my head, eyes blinking rapidly to clear the fog in my mind. I'm going to throw up. I must have gagged because the guards in the van shifted out of the way, clearly uncomfortable.

Fuck them.

Taking a deep breath, I push myself up, off the floor with my shoulders, gaze drawing upwards and making immediate eye contact with my Protector. 

He sits in the glass cage, silent, still, like a predator biding his time. 

I have a sneaking suspicion that he has not once, taken his eyes off me throughout the journey.

If it wasn't for the fact that I knew him so well, that blank expression he held on his face would have hurt. But I did know him. The subtle twitch of his eyebrow and the way his hands clenched in front of him--sending tremors along the cage gave it away.

His whole being screamed; worry, anger, frustration. All of it. For me.

I shake my head because I know what that look means, I know what he intends to do.

He'd break us out of here. I only need to ask him.

My fear of what may happen to him if he does that wins over my desire to escape. He'll be shot, killed, taken back to lock-up where he'll never see the light of day. 

The Sokovian Accords have already driven my family to separate sides. Fixing it will take effort and time... time, I don't have the luxury to waste. 

So I mouthed two words, meant for him and only, him.

"Pover'te mne."

Trust me.

His gaze flickers, unease wrapping around them.

I'll get him out. I'll get all of us out of this mess. 

It doesn't have to end in a war. 

The van doors open, light streaming in, followed by what sounded like german-speaking guards.