Chapter 46

"I don't suppose you have any idea where they are?"

Tony raises his eyes and rolled them, much too annoyed to not answer Secretary Ross's questions.

It's been a long day.

Between the fact that Lorelie punched him in the nose, Barnes escaped with Steve, and a blossoming black eye, he was otherwise, okay.

"We will," Tony answered confidently. "GSG-9′s got the borders covered. Recon's flying 24/7. They'll get a hit."

"This will go faster if your Dark Witch decides to look for them," Secretary Ross announced, raising a challenging eyebrow. He's speaking through the monitor, all prim and proper. 

For some reason, that seemed to annoy Tony even more. 

"We'll handle it." He answers coolly, smiling through bitterness at Secretary Ross.

Tony knows that Lorelie could easily find them with her mirror projection but he won't let that happen.

He sees the drainage it's done to her. 

The worry was inconsequential. He made a mental note to ask her what the hell was up with those black lights and what possessed her to throw herself at Barnes.

It had nearly given him a heart attack when the man choked her to the point she'd passed out. 

Tony hid his fists behind his back, trying his best not to show he was clenching them.

He was not going to let Secretary Ross take advantage of his sister.

Though she may not say it, Tony knows she must be facing something else entirely at the moment.

The people she loved were going to go against each other and her inability to decide which side to choose just makes it worse.

Natasha sighs from beside him, already knowing what he must be thinking. The Spy had marched out of the room they kept his sister detained in, all angry and frustrated. He hadn't bothered asking why. 

"You don't get it, Stark. It's not yours to handle. It's clear you can't be objective. I'm putting Special Ops on this." Secretary Ross bites out, wanting to see a reaction.

Tony frowns. If other people go against his team it'll end badly.

Maybe... Just maybe, he could still convince Steve.

What would Lorelie think?

"What happens when the shooting starts?" Natasha scoffs, injecting her opinion. "What, do you kill Steve Rogers?"

"If we're provoked." Secretary Ross says this flatly. "Barnes would've been eliminated in Romania if it wasn't for Rogers."

He let the sentence hang before continuing. "There are dead people who would be alive now. Feel free to check my math."

Tony rises upwards and crossed his arms over his chest. "All due respect, you're not going to solve this with boys in bullets, Ross. You gotta let us bring them in."

Secretary Ross raises an unimpressed eyebrow. "How would that end any differently from the last time?"

"Because this time--" Tony's anger was at the last end of the stick and he was struggling to keep it contained. "I won't be wearing loafers and a silk shirt."

Secretary Ross looks unconvinced as Tony glowers at him. Still standing determined, Tony remains harsh.

"72 hours, guaranteed."

Secretary Ross looks at Tony carefully. "Get the Dark Witch to help you." He says smoothly.

Tony's eyes narrowed into slits but Thaddeus Ross remains unguarded. This man just won't let it go.