Chapter 2: Jo

Jo stood on the docks feeling the icy fog sticking to her face, staring at the ship, her glorious ride. She knew as much about ships as she knew about operatic singing, but something told her it wasn't fine to see light coming from inside through little holes all over the structure. The ship seemed to be holding up, just barely, with the help of the thousands of barnacles attached to its wood planks, assuming there was any wood left underneath anyway. Maybe the ship was made of barnacles and the wooden bits were just for show. How very reliable, how safe , just like sending your only granddaughter into the wilds with a bunch of strangers on her way to her – possible – death.

The map grandma gave her burned through her backpack, Jo could feel it even through her coat. She could've refused. Alaric could've said no. They could've just run away, as they planned before, all be damned. It was about time she left her grandmother's side anyway, the old woman seemed to be perfectly fine. The inn was more profitable than the old one in the village, and she clearly had friends in high places. Oh, well. No matter what they decided to do, that nautical master-craft was their way out.

"I guess it's goodbye then, Laurentius," she extended her hand. Laurentius wasn't a hugger, was he? A small part of her wished he was. She'd miss him, albeit just a little.

"Not yet. You see, I've always liked ships, and look at the night: perfect for a trip, wouldn't you say?" So unlike Laurentius to tag along to a trip, uninvited. Unheard of, really. Jo blew a strand of hair off her face.

"Oh, yes. Perfect, look at the stars: beautiful, really— if you manage to see past the fog, the clouds," she smirked. "But what about Wyn? Someone needs to look after her, and creators know I'm not referring to my grandmother."

"I won't be traveling with you, at least not for long. I can shapeshift, remember? I'll just enjoy myself for a couple of hours, then I'll be on my way back. I have a date tomorrow, I wouldn't want to miss it."

"If you're talking about your boyfriend, I don't think he'll be in the mood, after all, didn't you just use him to unleash monsters into the city and all that? People don't typically like to be used as distractions to bring mayhem to cities and break prisoners out of jail, you know? But maybe that's just me, " Alaric chuckled. Jo smiled, then nudged him on the ribs.

"I won't discuss my love life, or lack of thereof, with you, Alaric," the mage scoffed. "Let me remind you whose fault that was, in the first place: I wasn't the one—" Jo interrupted him with a nudge. She didn't want them to fight before leaving, who knew how long it would be until they saw each other again.

"Are you guys planning to board the ship any time soon? Are you expecting a valet to carry your bags to your quarters, my lords?" Roisin's voice came from atop the ship's ramp. "Raise the anchor! We're leaving with or without you, I'd strongly suggest you toss me the other half of the gold I was promised if you're not boarding, I have a crew to feed, guards to bribe," Roisin waved in their general direction, "and a mage aiming her staff at your heads."

Three seconds later they were on their way to the ship, Laurentius in tow. Jo didn't believe he was there for the view or the amenities: the ship was a disaster on deck too, there was no way he would want to be there on purpose. What was he up to? Maybe he knew something she didn't, was the ship a lavish caravel disguised as a trashcan? A girl could dream. She could hardly wait to see her quarters, the rest of the night looked so promising. Maybe she could cuddle a rat, use it as a fluffy pillow, feed it her leftover rotten pirate food.

The women and men of Roisin's crew were so busy lifting things, pulling others and yelling raunchy jokes at each other that they didn't even notice them walking there. Jo had to duck more than a couple of times on her way to the smuggler captain's cabin, under the wheel-platform-thingy—whatever it was called. She didn't need to know the ship's parts: as long as it took them wherever they chose to go, all was well.