Chapter 6: Laurentius

Laurentius checked his reflection on the mirrored corridor towards the headmistress' office. Jocasta had been right about baths: they did make a world of difference. He felt like a box of chocolate covered strawberries: perfect. Irresistible. He fixed his golden fur-lined cape, adjusted his tights. Headmistress Adela opened the door to her office, holding a mug of an aromatic concoction he couldn't quite pinpoint. Tangy, fresh, sweet. She called him over with a hand, not even bothering to say hello. It was too early for pleasantries, it seemed. The woman sat on her ridiculously large chair, fixing stray hairs from her glossy black hair, tucking a lonely lock of white behind her ear. Laurentius wondered if it was as soft as it looked. He smirked: she caught him staring. It frustrated him, how impervious she was to his charms, but was that a hint of a blush he could see on her cheeks? Maybe it was just the tea. She was too classy for him, anyway. She'd never really fall for a man like him, too young, too carefree. He sat in front of her trying to look unfazed, faking interest in a small jeweled box.

"It holds the beating heart of a hummingbird," she said, putting her mug down. Laurentius pushed it aside, softly. He wouldn't ask. "Don't worry, the bird is very much alive in its cage," a tiny smile, crooked just a little bit to the left. Laurentius' ears perked up. "I'm testing an experimental magic, seeing how a being's life's essence deteriorates before the ties between a vital organ and their host are completely severed."

"Normally, it wouldn't take long. People die with their vital organs still attached to their bodies, do they not?"

"That's where the experimental part of the experiment begins," her eyes shone. Her enthusiasm was infectious. "I seared the wound, with magic. I used an enchanted glass shard to locate the host's life essence drainage, I could actually see it, physically exiting the bird's body and its heart: it was fascinating."

"And then you managed to bind the two currents," his eyes were wide, he didn't care. She was brilliant. She nodded, pleased with herself. "If the current still flows, and there's no bleeding—"

"Then life goes on," she finished his sentence. "I'm seeing how far the current can be stretched before it severs. I'm moving the box a meter a day," she patted it, softly.

"If the Onturian Knights find out you're experimenting with spirit magic—" He whispered. "But this is fascinating. The applications of this kind of magic. I can't even begin to imagine," he said. But he did. He had done something similar, with Jo. But he couldn't tell her that, as much as he wanted to brag. He needed to change the subject, he couldn't trust himself. He couldn't truly trust her either, she was close friends with Volstad. He couldn't allow himself to forget it. His little informer. He had to be particularly careful around her, the fact was easy to overlook when she seemed so poised, so above all the intrigues and the planning of murdering his friend Alaric. Maybe the experiment was Volstad's idea too, he was, after all, rumored to be a spirit mage.

"I'm working on it, don't you worry. As for the Onturian Knights, that's the reason I summoned you this morning," she looked over her shoulder. The curtains were shut, but she made sure they were tightly closed. She cast a silencing spell on the door with her hands, her fingers were impossibly fast as she formed the runes. He liked using his staff better, his fingers weren't that nimble. "I need you to do me a favor. I know you're a shifter, don't give me that look," she snorted. "I didn't get to be headmistress by accident," she clasped her hands on the table.

Laurentius sighed, leaning towards the back of his seat. "What do you need me to do this time?"

"Good boy. I need you to spy on Laverna. I think she's up to something," she whispered.

"Really now? Well, that's news, isn't it? Imagine my shock," he laughed.

"This is a serious matter, Laurentius, by the Creator's grace, really I wonder why I allowed you to enroll here in the first place," she rubbed her temples.